Whoopie pies are a great American comfort food. Imagine luscious cream filling sandwiched between 2 large disks of chocolate cake. Make these special treats in 35 minutes using basic refrigerator and pantry items.
WHAT IS A WHOOPIE PIE?
An Amish and Mennonite tradition, whoopie pies are delicious hand-held pastries often sold at rural farm stands in and around Pennsylvania.
Sweet fluffy frosting is sandwiched between round chocolate cakes. Traditional frosting for this decadent dessert is made with the good stuff, including vegetable shortening and Marshmallow Fluff.
It’s believed these yummy treats originated with the Pennsylvania Dutch around 1920. Since then, they’ve grown to hold a special place in the heart of New England. In 2011, the Maine State Legislature actually debated making the whoopie pie its official state dessert.
If you grew up loving Hostess Cupcakes, Twinkies or Drake’s Devil Dogs, this is a life-changing recipe. Whoopie pies taste 100% better than any of these nostalgic store-bought desserts.
👉🏻 NO WHOOPIE PIE PAN ? No problem. You can still make this easy recipe. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, or grease it with butter. These treats have been made for generations without a specialized pan.
WHOOPIE PIE INGREDIENTS
Mini Chocolate Cakes
- All-purpose flour: The base ingredient of our chocolate cakes.
- Hershey’s Special Dark Cacao: For this recipe, I prefer using a Dutch-process cocoa. It gives the cakes a rich chocolate flavor and a deep dark color. But if you don’t have it on hand, use natural unsweetened cocoa.
- Baking powder: A traditional leavener.
- Baking soda: Provides an extra lift so the cakes rise perfectly.
- Kosher salt: Enhances the flavor of chocolate as well as the other ingredients.
- Vegetable shortening: Helps create a thick luscious batter.
- Granulated sugar: Adds the ideal amount of sweetness.
- Large egg: Helps bind the batter together while also adding richness.
- Whole milk: If you don’t have it on hand, use 2% milk instead.
- Pure vanilla extract: Enhances the flavor of the batter while also contributing a delicious bakery aroma.
Marshmallow Creme Filling
- Marshmallow creme/fluff: I use marshmallow creme for this recipe. Although slightly thinner than marshmallow fluff, it’s an ingredient more readily available outside New England. If you don’t have either of these on hand, use thick vanilla buttercream frosting instead.
- Vegetable shortening: Is a traditional ingredient for frosting.
- Powdered sugar: This is the same as confectioners sugar. It adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Pure vanilla extract: For a white/white filling, use clear vanilla extracrt instead of amber-colored vanilla.
- Kosher salt: Enhances the flavor of the other ingredients. It also helps tamp down the sweetness.
WHOOPIE PIE RECIPE
Mini Chocolate Cakes
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 350°F. With cooking spray, grease the wells of two whoopie pie pans.
- STEP 1: In a medium bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Set the bowl aside.
- STEP 2: In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg. Beat well. Pour in milk and vanilla. Beat until fully combined.
- STEP 3: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Blend well.
- STEP 4: With a large metal scoop (2 inches across), OR a 1/4 measuring cup, drop batter into wells of prepared pans. This recipe makes 20 cakes for assembling 10 whoopie pies. Bake 7-8 minutes, or until the tops develop little cracks and are no longer wet. Do not overbake!
Whoopie Pie Filling
This recipe produces ample filling for 10 whoopie pies. However, if you prefer “double stuff” whoopie pies, double the frosting recipe.
- STEP 1: Add all ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer with whip attachment: marshmallow creme, powdered sugar, shortening that’s been cut into tiny pieces, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Whip until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the frosting is thick and fluffy.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE WHOOPIE PIES
- STEP 1: After baking, allow chocolate cakes to cool in the pan for 6-8 minutes. Carefully transfer cakes to a cooling rack with the smooth round tops of the cakes facing upwards.
- STEP 2: With a large cookie scoop, place a giant dollop of frosting in the middle of 10 cakes.
- STEP 3: Add remaining cakes on top, with the flat side facing the filling. Gently press down on each whoopie pie to spread out the frosting.
🤔 RECIPE FAQ
These are the most commonly-asked questions for the BEST authentic whoopie pies, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
Line a tray with parchment paper or grease it with butter. On the tray, leave at least 2 inches between the mounds of cake batter.
Marshmallow fluff is thick and luscious, but it’s more readily found within New England. Marshmallow creme has a slightly thinner texture but the same taste. It’s more readily available throughout the USA.
If you don’t have marshmallow fluff or marshmallow creme on hand for making the filling, use thick vanilla buttercream frosting instead.
For a minty flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract to both the cakes and filling. For chocolate/strawberry treats, use a thick strawberry filling instead of the marshmallow creme filling.
Yes they can. The chocolate cakes can be made up to 3 days in advance. Refrigerate the discs between pieces of parchment paper in an airtight container. You can prep the whoopie pie filling up to 4 hours in advance. Store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
Wrap each individual dessert in plastic wrap and refrigerate. They’ll stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Yes. These hand-held desserts freeze very well. Place individually-wrapped treats in a large freezer bag, and gently press out the air. Freeze for up to 3 months.
👩🏻🍳 More Hand-held desserts
These easy hand-held desserts are ideal for potlucks, birthdays, church socials and picnics. They’re easy to transport and so convenient. No plates or forks are needed. Just a few napkins. 📌 Pin your favorites to Pinterest.
- Apple Pop Tarts
- Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- Cake Truffles
- Lemon Pop Tarts
- Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Strawberry Donuts
- Malted Milk Cookies
- Chocolate Pop Tarts
RATE THIS RECIPE! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers rated this the best whoopie pie recipe. They agreed the chocolate cake is awesomely decadent – rich, tender, and deeply flavorful. They loved the thick delicious marshmallow creme filling.
If you love these easy treats, give the recipe a 5-star rating in the comments below. Then be a recipe hero. Share it on Facebook or Pinterest.Print
Whoopie Pies are special Amish country treats popular in New England. These decadent hand pies boast a luscious cream filling sandwiched between two mini chocolate cakes. This must-make recipe is a delicious slice of Americana!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark 100% Cacao (or natural unsweetened cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cut into very small pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk (or 2% milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whoopie Pie Filling
- 1 7–ounce container of marshmallow fluff or marshmallow creme (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
MINI CHOCOLATE CAKES
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the wells of 2 whoopie pie pans with baking spray. If you don’t have these special pans, no problem. You can still make this easy recipe. Line a baking tray with parchment paper OR grease it with butter.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg. Beat well. Pour in vanilla and milk. Beat until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Blend well.
- With a large (2-inches across) cookie scoop OR a 1/4 measuring cup, drop mounds of batter into the wells of prepared whoopie pie pans. If using a prepared baking tray, leave 2 inches between each mound of batter. This recipe makes 20 individual discs of cake for assembling 10 whoopie pies.
- Bake 7-8 minutes, or until the tops develop little cracks and are no longer wet. Do not overbake!
- Allow chocolate cakes to cool in the pan for 6-8 minutes. Carefully transfer cakes to a cooling rack, with the smooth rounded sides of the cakes facing up to prevent unsightly marks on the surface.
WHOOPIE PIE FILLING
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer with whip attachment: marshmallow creme, powdered sugar, shortening that’s been cut into tiny pieces, vanilla extract, and sea salt.
- Whip until all ingredients are fully incorporated and the frosting is thick and fluffy.
ASSEMBLE WHOOPIE PIES
- With a large cookie scoop, place a giant dollop of frosting in the middle of 10 cakes.
- Add remaining cakes on top, with the flat side facing the filling. Gently press down on each whoopie pie to spread out the frosting.
Difference between marshmallow fluff and marshmallow creme: Marshmallow fluff is thick and luscious, but it’s more readily found within New England. Marshmallow creme has a slightly thinner texture but the same awesome taste. It’s more readily available throughout the USA.
Want “double stuff” whoopie pies? Double the creme filling recipe.
No marshmallow fluff or creme for making the filling? Use this vanilla buttercream frosting instead. It’s thick, rich and luscious. A perfect substitution.
How to store whoopie pies: Wrap each individual dessert in plastic wrap and refrigerate. They’ll stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Whoopie Pies, Whoopie Pie Filling
WHOOPIE PIES > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Have you experienced the sheer joy of a New England whoopie pie? Can you almost taste that deeply-satisfying whoopie pie filling? Share your thoughts in the comments below!