Wonton taco cups are perfect for Taco Tuesday! These crunchy tacos are also ideal appetizers for game day, and a favorite for Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Quick and easy to make, these mini tacos are baked not fried!
This is a sponsored post. All opinions are mine alone. #PAMAvocadoPump
ABOUT WONTON TACO CUPS RECIPE
It’s important to feel good about what you eat! For these wonton taco cups I use 96% lean ground beef and a drizzling of avocado oil. This amplifies the flavor while preventing the meat from being dry. For Mexican appetizer recipes like these mini tacos, the choices for cheese and sour cream can be regular or reduced fat.
INGREDIENTS FOR WONTON TACOS
These are the simple ingredients you’ll need for these tasty mini tacos!
- Lean ground beef
- Avocado oil
- Envelope of taco seasoning
- RO*TEL diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- PAM® Spray Pump Avocado Oil
- Wonton wrappers
- Cheddar cheese (regular or reduced fat)
- Sour cream (regular or reduced fat)
- Fresh tomatoes, diced
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Black olives
- Optional garnish: fresh limes
HOW TO MAKE MINI TACOS
Here’s how to make these easy Mexican appetizers:
- Add ground beef, avocado oil and taco seasoning to a cast-iron pan.
- Over medium heat, brown the beef until there’s no more pink.
- As it’s cooking, use a wooden spatula to break up the meat.
CRUNCHY TACO CUPS
Making crunchy taco cups is quick and easy!
- When the meat is cooked, remove the pan from heat.
- Drain the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Add it to the pan and stir to combine.
WONTON TACO CUPS RECIPE
This wonton taco cups recipe yields 18 mini tacos.
- Adjust oven rack to center position. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare two cupcake pans with cooking spray. Put them aside.
- Place a wonton wrapper in each of 18 wells of your cupcake pans.
EASY WONTON TACOS
- Use a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon from your measuring spoon set.
- Place a rounded scoop of meat into each wonton wrapper.
These cute wonton taco cups can also be called taco cupcakes!
- Add about two teaspoons of cheese on top of the meat.
OVEN BAKED TACOS
These yummy oven-baked tacos are a better-for-you beef taco recipe!
- Add another wonton wrapper to each taco cup.
- The tips of the second wrapper should be alternated from the bottom wrapper.
- Gently press down on wonton wrapper to slightly compress ingredients below.
MINI TACO CUPS
- Add a tablespoon of meat to each of the taco cups.
- Put two teaspoons of cheese on top of the beef.
HOW TO MAKE TACO CUPS
These mini tacos cook very quickly!
- Bake the wonton taco cups for 8 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the mini tacos so they don’t burn!
- Taco cups are ready when the tips are golden and the cheese has melted.
These beautiful oven baked tacos should slip right out of the pans! It’s a result I’ve come to expect when using PAM cooking sprays. After all, for generations PAM has been the trusted go-to cooking spray in our kitchens. It helps us cook healthier meals, and make fun appetizers and desserts that are party perfect.
HOW TO GARNISH WONTON TACO CUPS
Here’s how to garnish wonton taco cups so they’re super festive!
- Transfer taco cups to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle diced tomatoes over the top of the mini tacos.
- Add a dollop of sour cream in the middle.
- Sprinkle them with sliced green onion.
- Crown each taco cup with a black olive!
ENJOY WONTON TACOS
- Serve with slices of lime.
- Optional: taco sauce.
EXPERT TIPS FOR TACO CUPS RECIPE
- For taco cups, ground chicken can be substituted for ground beef!
- When using meat that is not lean, drain off all the fat after the meat is cooked.
- Use a small cookie scoop for portioning the meat.
- When working with wonton wrappers, keep them covered with damp (not wet) paper towels. Otherwise, they tend to dry up quickly and become brittle.
- If preparing wonton taco cups in advance for baking later, cover the taco cupcakes with damp paper towels to protect wonton wrappers from drying out.
- For crunchy tacos, bake only one tray of mini tacos at a time.
RECOMMENDED KITCHEN TOOLS
These handy kitchen tools make cooking quick and easy!
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Did you enjoy these mini tacos? Rate this recipe in the comments below!Print
Delicious wonton taco cups are perfect game day appetizers, as a main course for taco night, and for celebratory occasions like Cinco de Mayo! These oven baked tacos are easy to make. When it comes to Mexican appetizer recipes, this one’s a winner!
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning (2 tablespoons)
- 1 10-ounce can RO*TEL diced tomatoes & green chilies, well drained
- Cooking spray: PAM® Spray Pump Avocado Oil
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (regular or reduced fat)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes (Roma or grape tomatoes), diced
- 1 cup sour cream (regular or reduced fat)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 18 medium-sized black olives
- Optional: Wedges of fresh lime
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place ground beef in cast-iron pan with avocado oil and taco seasoning. Brown over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks with a wooden spatula. When meat is no longer pink and fully cooked, remove pan from heat. Add the drained canned tomatoes to the pan and mix briefly until incorporated.
- Spray two cupcake pans with cooking spray. Place a wonton wrapper in 18 wells of the pans. Add a tablespoon of meat to each wonton wrapper. Add two teaspoons of cheese over the meat. Place another wonton wrapper over the the top of each taco cup, making sure the edges of the wonton wrapper are slightly off-set from the bottom one. Repeat the layering of meat and cheese.
- Bake wonton taco cups for approximately 8 minutes. Keep a close eye on them as they bake. The wonton wrappers get toasty quite quickly! The mini tacos are done once the edges of the wrappers are golden and the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove oven baked tacos from their pans. Garnish each with freshly-diced tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of sliced green onions, and an olive on top.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy these festive mini tacos!
EXPERT COOKING TIPS FOR TACO CUPS RECIPE
For taco cups, ground chicken can be substituted for ground beef!
When using meat that is not lean, drain off all the fat after the meat is cooked.
Use a small cookie scoop for portioning the meat.
When working with wonton wrappers, keep them covered with damp (not wet) paper towels. Otherwise, they tend to dry up quickly and become brittle.
Prep wonton taco cups a few hours in advance and bake them later! Simply cover the taco cupcakes with damp paper towels to protect wonton wrappers from drying out.
For crunchy tacos, bake only one tray of mini tacos at a time.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Taco Cups, Wonton Taco Cups, Mini Tacos
TACO CUPS RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Love these easy Mexican appetizers? PIN IT NOW!
- AUTHENTIC MEXICAN GUACAMOLE
- CHEESY ROTEL BEAN DIP
- JALAPENO BACON DEVILED EGGS
- MARGARITA FRUIT DIP
- FIESTA TACO DIP
WONTON TACO CUPS > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What do you think about these crunchy taco cups? Would you love to serve these mini tacos on game day? Join the conversation in the comments below!