Wonton taco cups are perfect for Taco Tuesday! These crunchy tacos are also ideal appetizers for game day, and a favorite for Cinco de Mayo celebrations. Quick and easy to make, these mini tacos are baked not fried!
This is a sponsored post. All opinions are mine alone. #PAMAvocadoPump
ABOUT WONTON TACO CUPS RECIPE
It’s important to feel good about what you eat! For these wonton taco cups I use 96% lean ground beef and a drizzling of avocado oil. This amplifies the flavor while preventing the meat from being dry. For Mexican appetizer recipes like these mini tacos, the choices for cheese and sour cream can be regular or reduced fat.
INGREDIENTS FOR WONTON TACOS
These are the simple ingredients you’ll need for these tasty mini tacos!
- Lean ground beef
- Avocado oil
- Envelope of taco seasoning
- RO*TEL diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- PAM® Spray Pump Avocado Oil
- Wonton wrappers
- Cheddar cheese (regular or reduced fat)
- Sour cream (regular or reduced fat)
- Fresh tomatoes, diced
- Green onions, thinly sliced
- Black olives
- Optional garnish: fresh limes
HOW TO MAKE MINI TACOS
Here’s how to make these easy Mexican appetizers:
- Add ground beef, avocado oil and taco seasoning to a cast-iron pan.
- Over medium heat, brown the beef until there’s no more pink.
- As it’s cooking, use a wooden spatula to break up the meat.
CRUNCHY TACO CUPS
Making crunchy taco cups is quick and easy!
- When the meat is cooked, remove the pan from heat.
- Drain the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Add it to the pan and stir to combine.
WONTON TACO CUPS RECIPE
This wonton taco cups recipe yields 18 mini tacos.
- Adjust oven rack to center position. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare two cupcake pans with cooking spray. Put them aside.
- Place a wonton wrapper in each of 18 wells of your cupcake pans.
EASY WONTON TACOS
- Use a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon from your measuring spoon set.
- Place a rounded scoop of meat into each wonton wrapper.
These cute wonton taco cups can also be called taco cupcakes!
- Add about two teaspoons of cheese on top of the meat.
OVEN BAKED TACOS
These yummy oven-baked tacos are a better-for-you beef taco recipe!
- Add another wonton wrapper to each taco cup.
- The tips of the second wrapper should be alternated from the bottom wrapper.
- Gently press down on wonton wrapper to slightly compress ingredients below.
MINI TACO CUPS
- Add a tablespoon of meat to each of the taco cups.
- Put two teaspoons of cheese on top of the beef.
HOW TO MAKE TACO CUPS
These mini tacos cook very quickly!
- Bake the wonton taco cups for 8 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the mini tacos so they don’t burn!
- Taco cups are ready when the tips are golden and the cheese has melted.
These beautiful oven baked tacos should slip right out of the pans! It’s a result I’ve come to expect when using PAM cooking sprays. After all, for generations PAM has been the trusted go-to cooking spray in our kitchens. It helps us cook healthier meals, and make fun appetizers and desserts that are party perfect.
HOW TO GARNISH WONTON TACO CUPS
Here’s how to garnish wonton taco cups so they’re super festive!
- Transfer taco cups to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle diced tomatoes over the top of the mini tacos.
- Add a dollop of sour cream in the middle.
- Sprinkle them with sliced green onion.
- Crown each taco cup with a black olive!
ENJOY WONTON TACOS
- Serve with slices of lime.
- Optional: taco sauce.
EXPERT TIPS FOR TACO CUPS RECIPE
- For taco cups, ground chicken can be substituted for ground beef!
- When using meat that is not lean, drain off all the fat after the meat is cooked.
- Use a small cookie scoop for portioning the meat.
- When working with wonton wrappers, keep them covered with damp (not wet) paper towels. Otherwise, they tend to dry up quickly and become brittle.
- If preparing wonton taco cups in advance for baking later, cover the taco cupcakes with damp paper towels to protect wonton wrappers from drying out.
- For crunchy tacos, bake only one tray of mini tacos at a time.
RECOMMENDED KITCHEN TOOLS
These handy kitchen tools make cooking quick and easy!
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Did you enjoy these mini tacos? Rate this recipe in the comments below!
Wonton Taco Cups
- Total Time: 28 Minutes
- Yield: 18 Taco Cups 1x
Delicious wonton taco cups are perfect game day appetizers, as a main course for taco night, and for celebratory occasions like Cinco de Mayo! These oven baked tacos are easy to make. When it comes to Mexican appetizer recipes, this one’s a winner!
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning (2 tablespoons)
- 1 10-ounce can RO*TEL diced tomatoes & green chilies, well drained
- Cooking spray: PAM® Spray Pump Avocado Oil
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (regular or reduced fat)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes (Roma or grape tomatoes), diced
- 1 cup sour cream (regular or reduced fat)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 18 medium-sized black olives
- Optional: Wedges of fresh lime
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place ground beef in cast-iron pan with avocado oil and taco seasoning. Brown over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks with a wooden spatula. When meat is no longer pink and fully cooked, remove pan from heat. Add the drained canned tomatoes to the pan and mix briefly until incorporated.
- Spray two cupcake pans with cooking spray. Place a wonton wrapper in 18 wells of the pans. Add a tablespoon of meat to each wonton wrapper. Add two teaspoons of cheese over the meat. Place another wonton wrapper over the the top of each taco cup, making sure the edges of the wonton wrapper are slightly off-set from the bottom one. Repeat the layering of meat and cheese.
- Bake wonton taco cups for approximately 8 minutes. Keep a close eye on them as they bake. The wonton wrappers get toasty quite quickly! The mini tacos are done once the edges of the wrappers are golden and the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove oven baked tacos from their pans. Garnish each with freshly-diced tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of sliced green onions, and an olive on top.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy these festive mini tacos!
EXPERT COOKING TIPS FOR TACO CUPS RECIPE
For taco cups, ground chicken can be substituted for ground beef!
When using meat that is not lean, drain off all the fat after the meat is cooked.
Use a small cookie scoop for portioning the meat.
When working with wonton wrappers, keep them covered with damp (not wet) paper towels. Otherwise, they tend to dry up quickly and become brittle.
Prep wonton taco cups a few hours in advance and bake them later! Simply cover the taco cupcakes with damp paper towels to protect wonton wrappers from drying out.
For crunchy tacos, bake only one tray of mini tacos at a time.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 8 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Taco Cups, Wonton Taco Cups, Mini Tacos
TACO CUPS RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Love these easy Mexican appetizers? PIN IT NOW!
- AUTHENTIC MEXICAN GUACAMOLE
- CHEESY ROTEL BEAN DIP
- JALAPENO BACON DEVILED EGGS
- MARGARITA FRUIT DIP
- FIESTA TACO DIP
WONTON TACO CUPS > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What do you think about these crunchy taco cups? Would you love to serve these mini tacos on game day? Join the conversation in the comments below!
44 thoughts on “Wonton Taco Cups”
I made the mini tacos and they are perfect , I like to know if you can froze themselves .
Hello Josiane. I’m so glad you enjoyed this tasty recipe! Here’s how to freeze wonton cups with just the meat and cheese: Cool the appetizers. Arrange them in freezer containers, separating the layers with parchment paper or waxed paper. When ready to enjoy: Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. Place frozen wonton cups in prepared pan. Bake until crisp and heated through. Top with fresh ingredients: sour cream, tomatoes, green onions, and black olives.
These look so tasty! Perfect to make for a party! Like easy to eat mini tacos!
This looks so epic, makes me want to have a party asap! Thanks for sharing, Melis
Oh, these look really good and such a fun recipe so easy to make.
What a lip-smacking delightful treat!!
This recipe is amazingly easy and ever so yummy. Both women and men love this along with the kiddos. Love confetti and bliss recipes. They’re all so yummy
These look delicious and a wonderful option to serve up for a get together. I would typically do a taco bar but it can get so messy for clean up! This is a much better option!
Ah! I feel like I want to have people over now just so I can make these. They look delicious, thank you for the idea!
What a fun idea for a party! And they are absolutely picture perfect. I love the photos!
How cute are these mini taco cups! Perfect for a game night or entertaining in general. Looks really tasty!
Taco Tuesday is going to be happening Monday through Sunday. Those look so yummy! Why is it that little servings of things make them so much more delicious?!
How cute are these! Perfect little bites just exploding with so much flavor. And so easy to put together as well (my kids thought they were great to boot)
These looks simple and yummy! Great weeknight treat!
Omg, these look so yummy and would be great for parties! May have to make them for the Superbowl!
What adorable appetizers. I love the Oriental touch with the old Tex-Mex appetizers. These certainly would make perfect nibble and snack food for the Game day or whenever there is a gathering. In fact, I do think people prefer nibble food they can add to a small plate versus. This is super important when there is a lot of activity going on. Great recipe — very original.
I love how simple and easy this is to make. Love wonton wrappers. Amazing how they can be used in so many different ways. This looks so simple and easy to make. Saving for later.
These sound so good and great for a party! My kids would love these!
Oh these look really tasty and so well presented too! I love a cooking spray, it’s such a fab way to cook healthier with less oil!
OOoh! I’ve made these before but now, I think i’m going to create a vegetarian version with black beans off of your recipe :)
Your wonton taco cups look so tasty! They’d be perfect for a busy weeknight meal. Thanks for the recipe!
WOW! These look incredible! Dinner plans tonight are now taken care of!
I love this cooking spray! I also love this taco cup recipe. So easy and perfect for a weeknight. My boys love when this is on our menu!
I love won tons and what a great recipe to use with them. Would be perfect for a party
This would be a great recipe for our weekly taco night. I haven’t cooked with avocado oil before. Sounds healthy!
I am taco obsessed kind of person. I should try these immediately. I am sure my family will love these taco cups.
This looks amazing! I would love to make these for my family. I have a big game on Saturday so maybe I will make them then. Thanks for the yummy recipe.
I could seriously eat a dozen of these myself! I love tacos and mini tacos. Those looks so good and easy to make.
I’m definitely making these with our meatless grounds! My family will love it !
Would this work with a silicone cupcake baking sheet?
Hi May! Although I haven’t tried making wonton taco cups in a silicone baking sheet, my initial thought is whether or not they would crisp up as nicely on the bottom and sides. If you do decide to use a silicone baking sheet, I’d love it if you’d come back and tell us how it went! Happy Friday, and many wishes for a great weekend. :-)
Oh, these look really good. They would be perfect for a party appetizer for the SuperBowl.
I have been really wanting to make these. I think I’ll have to make it happen for super bowl!
There’s never a bad time for tacos. i like the idea of wonton taco cups. i will have to try this the next taco night.
This is such a fun recipe! Such yummy flavors and so easy to make. These would be awesome for parties!
What a fun idea for the Super Bowl! I love tacos, but they can be difficult to eat in your lap in a crowded room. But not these taco cups! Pass me a plate and turn the game on! ????
I LOVE the idea of thinking ahead to Cinco de Mayo, I would be totally okay with it being a warm and sunny day in May now. :) These taco cups look delicious, a great appetizer idea. Thanks for sharing, Denay!
I love that these are baked. I think my family is really going to love these. I can’t wait to make them .
Yummy! This looks like such a fun recipe to make. This would be perfect for taco Tuesday. Love the portion size.
YuM! I love using wonton wrappers for portion controlled yummy foods! #client
Your taco cups look so yummy and I love that they are baked, not fried. Plus, they look easy to make and oh, so delicious.
Now that is a break from the same old taco’s I usually serve. And I think the kids would love the easy to handle size of these much better than regular taco’s/
What a fun twist on the taco! I need to make this for dinner one night. I’m sure my family will enjoy them. I need to try this spray too!
We make these wonton cups for all kinds of occasions. Game day on the weekends or sometimes when we are just watching a movie and want a snack. Make great appetizer.