Delicious wonton taco cups are perfect game day appetizers, as a main course for taco night, and for celebratory occasions like Cinco de Mayo! These oven baked tacos are easy to make. When it comes to Mexican appetizer recipes, this one’s a winner!
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning (2 tablespoons)
- 1 10-ounce can RO*TEL diced tomatoes & green chilies, well drained
- Cooking spray: PAM® Spray Pump Avocado Oil
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (regular or reduced fat)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes (Roma or grape tomatoes), diced
- 1 cup sour cream (regular or reduced fat)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 18 medium-sized black olives
- Optional: Wedges of fresh lime
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place ground beef in cast-iron pan with avocado oil and taco seasoning. Brown over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks with a wooden spatula. When meat is no longer pink and fully cooked, remove pan from heat. Add the drained canned tomatoes to the pan and mix briefly until incorporated.
- Spray two cupcake pans withPAM® Spray Pump Avocado Oil. Place a wonton wrapper in 18 wells of the pans. Add a tablespoon of meat to each wonton wrapper. Add two teaspoons of cheese over the meat. Place another wonton wrapper over the the top of each taco cup, making sure the edges of the wonton wrapper are slightly off-set from the bottom one. Repeat the layering of meat and cheese.
- Bake wonton taco cups for approximately 8 minutes. Keep a close eye on them as they bake. The wonton wrappers get toasty quite quickly! The mini tacos are done once the edges of the wrappers are golden and the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove oven baked tacos from their pans. Garnish each with freshly-diced tomatoes, a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkling of sliced green onions, and an olive on top.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy these festive mini tacos!
EXPERT COOKING TIPS FOR TACO CUPS RECIPE
Prep your cupcake pans with PAM® Spray Pump Avocado Oil.
For taco cups, ground chicken can be substituted for ground beef!
When using meat that is not lean, drain off all the fat after the meat is cooked.
Use a small cookie scoop for portioning the meat.
When working with wonton wrappers, keep them covered with damp (not wet) paper towels. Otherwise, they tend to dry up quickly and become brittle.
Prep wonton taco cups a few hours in advance and bake them later! Simply cover the taco cupcakes with damp paper towels to protect wonton wrappers from drying out.
Bake only one tray of mini tacos in the oven at a time.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Taco Cups, Wonton Taco Cups, Mini Tacos