Luxurious yellow squash soup is creamy and flavorful. Prep it in 10 minutes. Cook it in 30. Garnish with swirls of olive oil or heavy cream. Add a sprinkle of fresh oregano. Serve summer soup warm or chilled.
Yellow Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced Yukon Gold potato (peeled)
- 2 1/2 cups diced yellow squash
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (the juice from 1 lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper, or more to taste
- For Drizzling in Swirls: olive oil, heavy cream, plain Greek yogurt, or full-fat coconut milk.
- For Sprinkling: fresh oregano, basil leaves (chopped), or fresh thyme. Shredded parmesan cheese.
- For Squeezing: lemon or lime wedges.
- Heat a large heavy pot on stovetop over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once it shimmers, add onion, celery, carrots, potatoes and squash. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the veggies for 7 to 9 minutes, or they’re tender and just starting to brown.
- Add garlic and thyme. With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture. Gently scrape the bottom of the pot. Cook 1 minute more. Pour in the vegetable broth. Again, gently scrape brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Let them incorporate into the soup.
- Bring soup to a boil. Cook 12 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. With an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. (Another option: working in batches, carefully transfer soup to a high-speed blender. Process until smooth.)
- Add cream and butter to the pot. This will give the soup a rich creamy consistency. Stir until the butter has fully melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with desired garnishes. Or chill to serve later.
OPTIONAL FLAVOR BUMPERS: For sweetening, add 1 to 2 teaspoons granulated sugar. For natural sweetness (and a bit of thickening) add sweet corn. For a bit more spice, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder. For a touch of heat add a dash of hot sauce, or garnish with red pepper flakes. For a more tangy flavor, garnish with lemon zest.
HOW TO STORE THIS SOUP: Transfer cooled soup to an air-tight container and store in the fridge. Yellow summer squash soup can stay fresh and delicious for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop, Blending
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Yellow Squash Soup, Summer Squash Soup, Yellow Squash Soup Recipe, Summer Squash Soup Recipe, Soup with Yellow Squash