Delicious apple pie filling is a traditional autumn favorite! Something I really look forward to in fall are all of the glorious apples right in their prime.
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons water
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized pot. Once the butter is melted, briefly remove the pot from heat.
- Add in the lemon juice, water, butter, cornstarch, sugar and cinnamon. Stir until all ingredients are mixed together. Add the apple slices to the pot. Place the pot back on medium heat.
- With a silicone spatula or wooden spoon, continuously stir the apples for about 4-5 minutes or until they are tender. You want the apples to be gently soft with a just bit of firmness remaining. You don’t want them to be soggy or mushy. Remove the pan from heat and transfer the apple pie filling to a glass jar or bowl.
- Before using it, cool the apple pie filling to room temperature.
- Category: Breakfast, Appetizer, Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie filling, apple pie filling recipe, how to make apple pie filling