This bacon cheeseburger soup is loaded with all the hearty features of a delicious burger: juicy beef, crispy bacon, onion, melty cheese, and bun croutons. Your favorite hand-held burger will be jealous.
For the Soup
- 1 cup raw (thick-cut) diced bacon
- 1 pound lean (90/10) ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup diced baby carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery hearts
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups diced potato
- 2 cups freshly-shredded medium cheddar cheese
For Bun Croutons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 hamburger buns, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Sliced green onion
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
BACON CHEESEBURGER SOUP
- Place a large Dutch oven or heavy pot on stovetop over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook until brown and crisp (about 5 to 7 minutes). Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off grease. Set it aside – the bacon will be used as a topping/garnish. There’s no need to clean the pot.
- Add ground beef to the pot. Cook and brown the meat until there’s no more pink (about 5 minutes). As the meat cooks, break it up into small pieces with a wooden spatula. Remove the beef to a bowl and set it aside. Drain off excess grease from the pot.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, just until the veggies start to brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour into the pot, and stir well to coat the veggies.
- Add chicken stock, half-and-half, BBQ sauce, parsley, salt, pepper, dried mustard powder, and smoked paprika. Stir well to combine. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spatula to remove any browned bits and incorporate them into the soup.
- Add browned beef and diced potatoes. Bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender and soup has thickened.
- Toss in the shredded cheese. Stir until it’s fully melted. Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings as desired. Keep the chowder warm over low heat while you prep the bun croutons.
MAKE BUN CROUTONS: Add olive oil and butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add cubed buns. Toss to coat in butter and oil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until croutons are golden and crisp. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with seasonings.
SERVE: Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with an array of savory toppings: crispy bacon bits, sliced green onion, shredded cheddar cheese, and bun croutons. For extra richness, include sour cream.
Crockpot Method: Add onion, garlic, veggies, and chicken broth to crockpot. Cook on high 4 to 6 hours (or on low 6 to 8 hours) until veggies are tender. In a skillet, fully cook and brown the ground beef with spices. Transfer it to the crockpot. In the same skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter and add flour. Stir and cook until bubbly. Add heavy cream. Transfer mixture to the crockpot. Add cheese and cook until cheese has fully melted. Serve with crispy bacon bits, bun croutons, and desired toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Bacon Cheeseburger Soup, Hamburger Soup, Cheeseburger Chowder, Ground Beef Soup