This succulent BBQ meatloaf is tender, juicy and delicious. It features a thick, tangy BBQ glaze that’s deeply savory. Prep this easy southern meatloaf recipe in 15 minutes then bake.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup crushed Ritz Crackers (or dried breadcrumbs)
- 2/3 cup finely-diced white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano (or Italian seasoning)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or a bit more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds ground beef, 85/15 (or 80/20)
Optional: 2 slices sandwich bread to line the pan.
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9×5 loaf pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray. If desired, line the bottom of the pan with slices of bread to absorb excess grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and breadcrumbs to the bowl. Mix to combine. Add onion (fresh or sautéed), minced garlic, Italian parsley, sea salt, black pepper, oregano, paprika and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Pat the ground beef dry between paper towels to remove drippy excess moisture. Add the ground beef to the bowl. With a very light hand, gently fold the ingredients together. Do not overmix. Compacted meat will result in a heavy dry loaf. Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan. Gently press it into place. The top of the loaf should be smooth and slightly mounded.
- Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine all the BBQ glaze ingredients together in a small mixing bowl: BBQ sauce, ketchup, light brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well. Set the bowl aside.
- After meatloaf has baked for 30 minutes, spread the BBQ glaze over the top. Continue baking an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until a kitchen thermometer reads 160°F in the thickest part of the loaf. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
How to make meatloaf super savory: Sauté the diced onions in butter (or olive oil) until fragrant before adding them to the meatloaf mixture. If you have the time, this extra step is well worth it.
For easy removal of loaf from pan: Create a parchment-paper sling (handles). Line the loaf pan with an oversized rectangle of parchment paper (or thick aluminum foil) that sticks out and over 2 sides of the pan. If using sliced bread to absorb excess grease, arrange slices on top of the sling.
How to prevent a greasy meatloaf: After spraying the pan with cooking spray, line the bottom of the pan with slices of sandwich bread. As the meatloaf cooks, the bread will soak up the grease. After baking, remove and discard the bread.
How to infuse extra moisture into baked meatloaf: If your loaf is too dry, add thin slices of butter between the warm slices before serving. It’ll add delicious richness and moisture to the meatloaf.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: BBQ Meatloaf, BBQ Meatloaf Recipe, Meatloaf Glaze, Glazed Meatloaf, Southern Meatloaf Recipe, Meatloaf Glaze Recipe