This creamy butternut squash soup is packed with nutrients and delicious fall flavors. It’s a healthy meal you’ll feel good about serving your family. Make it 35 minutes!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion OR shallot
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 (packed) tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- OPTIONAL GARNISH: Pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds), roasted and salted
RECIPE PREP: Pull out a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Peel and chop onions and carrots. Press or mince garlic. Peel and seed butternut squash.
- On a wooden board, cut the squash into 1-inch cubes with a sharp knife. The pieces should be approximately the same size so they can cook evenly with the same tenderness.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion, garlic and carrot to the pot. Sauté about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion has softened. Add squash, sage, chicken broth and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover pot. Let soup simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until squash is fork tender.
- Remove bay leaf. To add more richness, stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter. If needed, add more salt and pepper. In batches, transfer soup to a strong high-speed blender. Process until ultra-creamy. If you own an immersion blender, you can use that tool instead. But it may take more time and work to get the soup creamy smooth.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls. Top each with a drizzling of heavy cream. If desired, sprinkle some salted roasted pepitas over the top. Serve the soup warm and enjoy.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE FASTER: It’s easy to cut back on prep time! At the market, buy pre-cubed butternut squash. Find it in the produce section. Another option: frozen chopped butternut squash. Grab a container of pre-chopped onion and celery. (Celery is a great addition to this soup!) Pick up a jar of minced garlic. Buy a packet of pepitas that are already roasted and salted.
MORE YUMMY ADD-INS: For more veggies, add diced celery or parsnip. For rustic fall flavor try maple syrup plus 1/16 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves. For a delicious fruit add-in, sauté 1/2 cup diced Granny Smith apple in butter. Sprinkle it over the soup before serving.
MORE TOPPING IDEAS: For a delicious sweet-and-savory topping, garnish soup with crispy bacon, caramelized onions and chopped Italian parsley. Fry bacon with onion. Keep cooking until bacon is crisp and onions are caramelized. Arrange bacon-onion mix over the soup. Sprinkle with parsley.
MORE EXPERT TIPS: See the body of this recipe post for helpful tips on peeling and cutting the squash, achieving a super silky texture for the soup, and more!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Butternut Squash Soup, Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, Healthy Butternut Squash Soup, Simple Butternut Squash Soup