Cake truffles (cake balls) boast a crisp chocolate coating with a tender center. Make any flavor truffles you desire – use your favorite cake mix and frosting flavors, and a white or dark chocolate coating.
- 1 (15.25 oz) box strawberry cake mix, (plus ingredients for the cake like water, oil and eggs)
- 1 (1 oz) package freeze dried strawberries, optional
- 1 (1 oz) container cream cheese frosting
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz Ghirardelli white chocolate melting wafers (or white chocolate candy melts)
- Optional: Candy sprinkles or jimmies, for decorating
RECIPE PREP: Prepare the boxed cake mix according to package instructions. Transfer the cake to a metal rack and let it cool completely.
- Add freeze dried strawberries to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for about 20 seconds, or until they become fine crumbs.
- Crumble the prepared cake into a large bowl. Add in the freeze dried strawberry powder. Mix briefly to blend. Add softened whipped cream cheese to the bowl. With a rubber spatula, gently mix the ingredients until a dough forms.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Scoop out 48 (1-tablespoon-sized) portions of dough. Between the palms of your hands, roll them into smooth spheres. Arrange them on the prepared tray. Freeze for 30 minutes (or refrigerate for 1 hour). Re-roll the chilled balls to further smooth out the sides. Return them to the freezer.
- Heat the white chocolate candy coating according to package directions. (I’ll usually put them into a microwave-safe bowl, like a glass Pyrex measuring cup, and microwave at 30-second intervals until chocolate has melted.)
- Line a second tray with parchment paper. Remove 5 cake balls from the freezer at a time. Dip each sphere into the melted chocolate. Tap off excess. Place them onto the freshly-lined tray. Garnish with drizzles of white chocolate, freeze-dried strawberry crumbs, or candy sprinkles before the chocolate shell coating sets. Let the truffles set completely. Store in an airtight container.
FOR GIFT GIVING: For special occasions like Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, and hostess gifts, place the cake truffles into foil or paper candy wrappers. Arrange them in a single layer inside a lovely box. Tie the box with a bow.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Chill Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cake Truffles, Strawberry Cake Truffles, Cake Balls, Cake Balls Recipe, How to Make Cake Balls