This creamy asparagus soup is garnished with a splash of cream, fresh herbs and Parmesan. It’s so delicious! Recipe instructions include 2 methods: Stovetop and Instant Pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 1/2 pounds thin tender asparagus stalks (not the thick ones)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES: Fresh chives and shredded Parmesan cheese
RECIPE PREP: Rinse asparagus under cold water. Pat dry between paper towels. Line up stalks on a wooden board. Slice off and discard tough ends that are white or purple in color. Cut tender stems, tips and spears into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add olive oil, chopped shallots, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt. Stir frequently until shallots are slightly caramelized. If using dried spices (like a pinch of red pepper flakes) to increase the flavor profile, add them now and sauté 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pot with 1/2 cup chicken stock. Let it simmer until reduced by half. We want a nice concentrated flavor!
- Add asparagus pieces to the pot along with 3 cups chicken stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover pot with a lid. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes, or until asparagus is very tender.
- Transfer soup to a high-speed blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Another option is an immersion blender. But this will take more time. The texture may be fibrous or pulpy. If this is the case, press puréed soup through a sieve. Stir in lemon juice and melted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS
- Heat the Instant Pot using the sauté function. Add olive oil, shallot, minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Sauté, stirring frequently until mixture is lightly golden and fragrant.
- Add chicken stock. Stir briefly to combine. Attach lid of the Instant Pot. Make sure valve is in the sealing position. Select Pressure Cook – Manual for 5 minutes.
- Once Instant Pot is done cooking, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Turn valve to Venting Position to release additional pressure.
- Transfer the soup to a powerful high-speed blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Another option is an immersion blender. But this will take more time. The soup may be fibrous or pulpy. If this is the case, press puréed soup through a sieve. Stir in lemon juice and melted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
SERVE & GARNISH
Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with heavy cream. Sprinkle the top with freshly-chopped chives and shredded Parmesan cheese.
IDEAS FOR GARNISHING SOUP: Garnish with drizzles and swirls of heavy cream or sour cream. A vegetarian option is coconut milk. For fresh herbs try: chives, Italian parsley, thyme, dill, green onions, or basil. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and croutons.
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS SOUP MORE SAVORY: Fry 4 slices of thick-sliced bacon until crisp. Sauté chopped yellow onion in butter or bacon fat. After drizzling heavy cream over individual portions of soup, sprinkle onion-bacon mixture over the top. You can also add 1 tablespoon of sherry to enhance the soup’s savory flavor.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Asparagus Soup, Creamy Asparagus Soup, Cream of Asparagus Soup