A dish of fried olives is the perfect appetizer for holiday parties and wine-and-cheese gatherings. Make this quick easy recipe in an air fryer or on your stovetop!
- 1 10-ounce jar stuffed green olives
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or chili powder
- 2–3 large eggs
- Cooking spray (olive oil or canola)
- GARNISHES: fresh oregano leaves + grated Parmesan cheese
- OPTIONAL: Your favorite dipping sauce!
- Take out 3 bowls. Crack eggs into the first. Whisk with a fork. In the second bowl mix together the flour, paprika and garlic powder. Add Panko crumbs to the third bowl.
- Drain off the liquid from the olives. Toss them in flour. Dip them in the beaten egg and coat them well! No areas of dry flour areas should be visible on the olives! Coat them in the breadcrumb mixture. As you work, place the battered olives on a plate in a single layer.
- Hold the plate of olives over the kitchen sink. Spray them well with cooking spray. If your air fryer basket is stainless steel, lightly spray the basket to prevent sticking. Transfer the olives to the air fryer basket. Arrange them in a single layer with a bit of space between each piece.
- Air fry the olives at 400°F for 5 minutes. Flip them over. Spray them with cooking spray. Air fry at 400°F for 3 minutes. With tongs, transfer the fried olives to a serving dish.
- Garnish your appetizer with fresh oregano leaves and a light sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. If desired, serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
EXPERT TIPS FOR FRIED OLIVES
- BEST TYPES OF OLIVES FOR FRYING: Always use pitted olives – olives with the pit removed! Try green olives stuffed with pimento, garlic or bleu cheese. Black olives work well too!
- USE COOKING SPRAY: Don’t overcrowd the fryer basket. Misting the olives with oil before AND halfway through the cooking process is highly recommended. This helps the batter crisp up nicely.
- WHAT TO SERVE WITH FRIED OLIVES: Cubed cheese, salami, thinly-sliced serrano ham, marinated artichoke hearts, crackers, nuts, and dried fruit. This appetizer pairs well with wine!
- DIPPING SAUCES FOR FRIED OLIVES: Garlic aioli, ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, yum yum sauce, and jarred marinara sauce.
- NO AIR FRYER? NO PROBLEM! You can fry them on the stovetop. Add 2 inches of canola oil to a heavy pan. Fry olives in batches over medium heat for about 1 1/2 minutes or until the crumb coating is golden and crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer fried olives to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain off the oil.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 16 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Fried Olives, Air Fryer Recipe, Easy Appetizers