This healthy burrito bowl features lean ground beef or ground chicken, fresh veggies and your favorite garnishes. A make-ahead recipe for busy families, burrito bowl meal prep is quick and easy!
CILANTRO LIME RICE
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground chicken
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- Homemade taco seasoning (or 1 taco spice packet)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- OPTIONAL: 4-oz can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheese, Monterey Jack or Cheddar
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (regular or reduced-fat)
- 5 tablespoons sour cream (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Tortilla chips, snapped/broken
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 5 tablespoons hot sauce or salsa
CILANTRO LIME RICE
RECIPE PREP: Rinse rice in a mesh strainer under cold running water. Use your fingers to separate the grains. Continue rinsing until the water runs clear. Removal of surface starch is important for cooking fluffy rice! If this step is skipped, the rice will be sticky.
- Warm Mazola® Corn Oil in a medium/small pot.
- Add the rice. Sauté briefly. Just until the grains become translucent. Add hot water and salt. Stir. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low/simmer. Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid. Allow rice to simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Remove pot from heat. Wrap lid in a cotton towel. Place it back on the pot. Let rice sit undisturbed, away from heat, for 10-15 minutes. Lift lid. Fluff with a fork. Fold in lime juice and cilantro
- Warm corn oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pat the raw meat dry between paper towels. This will help prevent it from steaming. Add meat to the hot pan. With a metal or wooden spatula, smash it into an even layer. But don’t break up the meat just yet!
- Once edges are brown, flip it over in sections. Brown the second side. Break it up into little pieces. By waiting until this point to break up the meat, we’ve prevented the juices from quickly evaporating and creating steam. Steamed ground beef turns gray and develops a mealy texture. Our burrito bowl will feature juicy brown meat.
- Once the beef is almost cooked through, drain off the fat. Add taco seasoning, water, and tomato sauce. Simmer 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Fold in corn, black beans, and chiles. Simmer until sauce has thickened and veggies are warm. About 3 to 4 minutes. Do a taste test. If needed, add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese over the top. Fold it in. Let it melt.
ASSEMBLE BURRITO BOWL
- Line the bottom of a bowl with a thick layer of shredded lettuce.
- Add a scoop of rice, and a scoop of the ground beef (or chicken) mixture.
- Add shredded cheese, grape tomatoes, avocado, olives, and snapped tortilla chips. If desired, drizzle the top with sour cream.
- Serve with hot sauce or salsa, and juicy wedges of lime.
- WHAT GRIND OF BEEF IS BEST FOR THIS RECIPE? For a lean grind with the best flavor, 85/15 is a good choice. Leaner grinds will be dryer. To make the meat juicer, add a drizzle of corn oil.
- WHY WRAP THE LID OF THE RICE POT IN A COTTON TOWEL? To prevent sticky rice. We want the individual grains of rice separate, soft and fluffy. A pot of freshly-cooked rice has a lot of steam. The cloth wrapped around the lid absorbs the steam while keeping the rice warm. Why not just remove the lid to let off the steam? When long-grain rice cools it hardens.
- BURRITO BOWL MEAL PREP: Store cooked meat and rice in air-tight containers and refrigerate. Later, when re-warming meat and rice, shred the lettuce. Slice avocado and tomatoes. To save time, use pre-shredded cheese. Assemble the bowls. Garnish as desired.
- HOW TO BUILD A HEALTHIER BURRITO BOWL: For more fiber, use brown rice. To cut calories, select low-fat dairy options for cheese and sour cream. Or skip them completely. Replace corn with fajita-style bell peppers and onions. Grill them with heart-healthy Mazola Corn Oil.
- HOW LONG DOES THIS RECIPE LAST IN THE FRIDGE? Stored in an air-tight container, a pre-assembled burrito bowl can stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days. For the best taste and texture, separate fresh crisp ingredients from the warm ingredients (meat and rice).
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Burrito Bowl, Healthy Burrito Bowl, Burrito Bowl Meal Prep