This delicious hot chocolate mix is rich, creamy and extra chocolaty. It’s 100% better than store-bought. To enjoy, add a few scoops of the mix to a mug. Pour hot milk (or hot water) over the top and stir well.
DIY Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup dried whole milk (or nonfat)
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder (or Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 4–ounce Ghirardelli premium chocolate baking bar, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup dehydrated marshmallow bits (optional)
For Making Hot Chocolate (optional)
- Peppermint sticks, for stirring
- Mini marshmallows
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings (from a premium chocolate baking bar) or chocolate jimmies (sprinkles)
DIY Hot Chocolate Mix
- Add all ingredients (except for marshmallow bits) to a medium bowl. Mix to combine. Do a taste test. If you’d like to sweeten the mix a bit more, add an additional 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- Transfer the hot chocolate mix to a mason jar.
- If desired, add marshmallow bits on top. Or wrap them in plastic wrap to create a little packet, and place that on top instead. Seal the jar tightly with a lid.
How to Make Hot Chocolate
- Add 3 tablespoons hot cocoa mix to a mug. Pour 1 cup hot milk (for the best creamy flavor with a delicious mouthfeel), or hot water over the top.
- Stir well until the hot chocolate mix is fully dissolved. During the Christmas season, you can use peppermint sticks for stirring.
- If desired, top the beverage with mini marshmallow bits and/or whipped cream. For a festive presentation and taste, garnish the top with shaved chocolate or chocolate sprinkles.
How long does DIY hot cocoa mix last? This depends on the expiration dates of all ingredients used. If they all have freshness dates of several months, then your hot chocolate mix can also last for several months when stored inside an airtight container and kept in a cool dark pantry.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stirring
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Hot Chocolate Mix, Hot Cocoa Mix, Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix, DIY Hot Cocoa Mix, Best Hot Chocolate Mix