This easy no-cook recipe makes the BEST marinated cheese appetizer. Enjoy at summer parties, and during the festive holiday season. Serve with crostini, crackers, or pieces of crusty baguette.
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, or enough to fully cover the cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, freshly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 twists freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 pound mozzarella pearls (cheese balls) or sliced mozzarella
- Add olive oil, garlic, chopped fresh herbs, sea salt, and red pepper flakes to a 16-ounce mason jar. Securely attach the lid. Shake well to combine. If you don’t have a jar, use a glass measuring cup and small whisk. For cheese slices, arrange the pieces in a wide shallow bowl so there’s enough room for the herby oil to flow around the slices.
- If marinating mozzarella pearls, add cheese balls to the jar. Gently shake the jar back and forth to spread the herbs around so the cheese is well coated. For cheese slices, drizzle the marinade over the cheese. Ensure all pieces are covered in the herby oil.
- Cover the jar or bowl. For a mild infusion, marinate 1 hour at room temperature. For a stronger infusion, marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- To serve, remove cheese from the herby oil. Enjoy with crackers or slices of rustic bread.
WHAT TYPE OF CHEESE TO USE: If the cheese will be enjoyed on its own, or skewered between basil leaves and cherry tomatoes, use mozzarella pearls. If the appetizer will be served with crackers or crostini, use sliced cheese.
HOW TO USE LEFTOVER HERBY MARINADE: Add balsamic vinegar to the herby oil. Serve as a dipping sauce for crusty bread. It’s an ideal starter for Italian meals.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Marinating Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Marinate
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Marinated Cheese, Marinated Mozzarella Balls, Marinated Mozzarella, Marinated Cheese Recipe