Mexican chicken and rice is the perfect weeknight dinner. It’s healthy, satisfying and when topped with a bit of cheese – it’s extra delicious!
MEXICAN SPICE MIX
- 2 + 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 + 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 key limes, juice only
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix
MEXICAN RICE & VEGGIES
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 small bell pepper (green or red), sliced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 + 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican spice mix
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Black olives, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Mix all the dry spices together to create the Mexican spice mix.
- In a Ziplock bag, add chicken, 1+ 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice and Mexican spice mix. Close the Ziplock bag. Shake or knead the bag to mix all ingredients. Chicken should be well covered by the marinade. Allow the chicken to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, saute the chicken over medium-high heat until all the juices have evaporated and the chicken is a beautiful golden brown. Transfer the cooked chicken to a clean bowl. Leave the chicken residue in the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the same cast-iron pan. Over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic and bell pepper until the onion becomes well carmelized and the bell pepper is cooked but not limp.
- Add the rice to the pan. Stir briefly until all grains of rice are incorporated into the onion mixture.
- Add chicken broth, water, tomato puree, corn kernels, sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon Mexican spice mix. Lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Allow the rice to simmer undisturbed for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Lift the lid, stir the rice and do a taste test to be sure the rice is done.
- Add the cooked chicken to the pan. With a wooden spoon or spatula, fold the chicken into the rice.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of the Mexican chicken and rice. Transfer the pan from stovetop to oven. Broil briefly until the cheese is melted and a bit bubbly.
- Garnish as desired. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: Mexican chicken and rice, chicken and rice recipe