Welcome the fall season with this scrumptious pumpkin muffin recipe. We take things one step further by giving each pumpkin spice muffin a beautiful crumb topping and a light drizzling of delicious vanilla glaze. Yum!
- 1 + 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 + 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 + 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree
CRUMB CAKE TOPPING
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 + 1/2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon milk
- Line a 12-well muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second muffin pan with 3 cupcake liners. Adjust your oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Mix briefly until combined.
- Add in brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, milk, and pumpkin puree. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Do not over-mix the batter!
- Evenly divide the mixture between the 15 muffin cups.
- Prepare the crumb cake topping: mix all three ingredients with a spoon or fork, roughly chopping up the mixture into crumbly chunks. Spoon the crumb mixture on top of the muffins. Secure the pieces by lightly pressing them into the batter.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of two separate pumpkin muffins comes out clean with no crumbs. Allow the muffins to stay in the pans until completely cooled.
- Prepare the vanilla glaze: With a spoon, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk together until fully combined. If the glaze needs to be thinned out a bit, add additional milk 1/4 teaspoon at a time. With the back of a spoon, drizzle the icing over the pumpkin spice muffins in a zig-zag pattern.