Make a delicious mug of pumpkin spice hot chocolate. Enjoy the most celebrated flavors of the season! Assemble this easy recipe in 15 minutes. Top with mini marshmallows or whipped cream.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces (high-quality) solid semi-sweet chocolate*
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: Mini marshmallows or whipped cream
*SOLID CHOCOLATE BAR: A bar of baking chocolate like Guittard, Ghirardelli, or Baker’s premium baking semi-sweet chocolate.
RECIPE PREP: Gather ingredients together. Pull out a liquid measuring cup and measuring spoons. Roughly chop or snap the semi-sweet chocolate bar into small chunks.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring milk and cream to a gentle simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Once the milk starts to bubble, add in chocolate pieces and a pinch of salt. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Remove pan from heat.
- Add maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract. Stir briefly to combine.
- Pour pumpkin spice hot chocolate into a coffee mug. If desired, top with mini marshmallows or whipped cream. Garnish with a light sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE VEGAN: Use non-dairy milk instead of cow’s milk and cream. Select a chocolate bar that doesn’t contain milk. A popular choice is Trader Joe’s “Pound Plus” 72% Dark Chocolate.
HOW TO RAMP UP THE CHOCOLATE: Add a bit of espresso. It’s an easy way to enhance the flavor of chocolate. Or drizzle this creamy beverage with thick chocolate syrup!
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE AN ADULT BEVERAGE: Add a shot of Baileys Irish Cream, dark rum, Kahlua, Grand Marnier, bourbon, or chocolate liqueur.
HOW TO BALANCE OUT OVERLY-SWEET HOT COCOA: Offset the sweetness with a pinch of salt. It’s an easy way to balance out flavors and tamp things down. It also enhances the flavor of chocolate.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate, Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate Recipe, Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate Starbucks, Pumpkin Spice Hot Cocoa