Fresh, flavorful salsa verde is a must-make condiment for chips and salsa. Spoon it over Mexican specialties like tacos, tostadas, burritos, grilled fish, nachos and more! Assemble this delicious green salsa in 15 minutes. It’ll be your favorite avocado salsa recipe!
- 2 pounds small tomatillos
- 1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced in half
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, lightly packed
- 2 serrano chilies, de-stemmed and cut in half
- 1 little gem lettuce, stem removed
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled with pit removed
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- Remove husks and stems from the tomatillos. They may be slightly sticky with a natural gel. Wipe them clean with a damp cloth. Add tomatillos to the blender.
- Add remaining ingredients to the blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Do a taste test. Add more salt, as needed.
- Enjoy immediately. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight jar.
- HOW TO SELECT AVOCADOS FOR GREEN SALSA: When a Haas avocado is under-ripe it’s green and very firm. A nearly ripe avocado is green-purple and slightly firm. A perfectly ripe avocado, the kind you want for salsa verde, is purple-black and yields to gentle pressure.
- TIP FOR HANDLING CHILI PEPPERS: Serrano chiles have oil that can irritate and burn skin and eyes for several hours. When handling chiles, use disposable kitchen gloves or two plastic produce bags. Afterward, wash your hands with warm water. Place cutting board and knife in the dishwasher to prevent transfer of oil to other surfaces. If eyes become irritated, flush them with cool water.
- BEST SUBSTITUTE FOR SERRANO PEPPERS: Jalapenos!
- BEST SUBSTITUTE FOR LITTLE GEM LETTUCE: If you can’t find little gem lettuce at the market, buy a head of Romaine lettuce instead. Remove the outer leaves, saving them for a salad, and use just the center or lettuce heart for this recipe.
- HOW LONG WILL FRESH SALSA VERDE KEEP? If covered in an air-tight container and refrigerated, it will last for up to one week. But the fresh flavor and color of green salsa is at its prime within the first three days.
- BLENDER VS FOOD PROCESSOR: For a smooth salsa verde, pull out your industrial blender! It’ll grind down the tomato and pepper seeds, leaving no grit or unpleasant textures in this tomatillo avocado salsa. A food processor can be used for this recipe, but it will not deliver a silky smooth texture.
- Category: Salsas, Sauces
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Salsa Verde, Green Salsa, Tomatillo Avocado Salsa