This flavorful spaghetti sauce from scratch is the only spaghetti sauce recipe you’ll ever need! When its fabulous aroma fills your kitchen you’ll experience warm feelings of happiness knowing you’re preparing a healthy wholesome meal for your family.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2–3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 4-ounce cans sliced mushrooms, liquid drained off
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar or red wine
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- Garnishes: Italian parsley and parmesan cheese
- 1 pound dried spaghetti
- In a heavy pan with lid, cook the ground beef and Italian sausage over medium heat. While browning the meat, use a wooden spatula to break it up into small pieces. Once the meat is fully cooked, drain off all the fat.
- With the cooked meat still in the pan, add in the olive oil, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Continue cooking until the veggies are tender. Add in the canned mushrooms (drained), Italian parsley, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, apple cider vinegar, sugar, all of the spices and the bay leaves. Stir well until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Bring the spaghetti sauce to a brief boil, then cover the pot with a lid and dial down the heat to low. Allow the meat sauce to continue to simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the two bay leaves from the pot. If desired, sprinkle the sauce with a bit of additional fresh parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve over spaghetti or your favorite pasta. This homemade spaghetti sauce is also perfect for making lasagna.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SPAGHETTI SAUCE BETTER?
Elevate homemade spaghetti sauce and take things to the next level. Here’s how to make spaghetti sauce better:
- Use canned mushrooms instead of fresh. Because they’re packed in water and citrus juices, they have outstanding texture and a touch of tangy citrus flavor.
- Use ground cloves and apple cider vinegar. This combination provides exciting complex flavors and a distinctive earthy, rustic taste.
- Taste the sauce throughout the cooking process. If you’re unsure about a spice or other ingredient, add in a portion and then taste the result before adding in the entire amount.
- Simmer spaghetti sauce a bit longer. This gives the ingredients a chance to reduce and meld together beautifully.
- Garnish for added flavor! Use Italian parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 150 minutes
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Potluck
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spaghetti sauce, homemade spaghetti sauce, spaghetti sauce from scratch, best spaghetti sauce, homemade pasta sauce, dinner