Customize your spicy tuna poke bowl! Add marinated tuna, sushi rice, fruit, and your favorite pickled and raw veggies to the bowl. Drizzle with spicy mayo and sriracha. Sprinkle on tasty garnishes.
SPICY TUNA POKE
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or Japanese ponzu sauce)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons finely-sliced green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (or minced garlic with a pinch of black pepper)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (or garlic chili sauce), or more to taste
- 8 ounces sushi-grade ahi tuna*
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
FOR THE POKE BOWL – OPTIONAL CHOICES
In addition to the rice, pick at least 2 to 3 elements or more, mixing colors and textures.
- Prepared Sushi Rice: or white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice
- Pickled Vegetables: carrots, celery, cucumber
- Fresh Vegetables: carrots, lettuce, red bell pepper, mung bean sprouts, sliced radishes
- Soft Fruit: avocado, fried plantains, ripe mango, ripe papaya, pineapple
In addition to sliced green onion, select 1 or more of your favorites.
- Sliced green onion
- Nori komi furikake Japanese seasoning
- Sesame seeds – white or black
- Spicy Mayo
- Lime wedges
- Seaweed chips
- Kukui nuts, chopped
SPICY TUNA POKE BOWL
RECIPE PREP: With a very sharp knife, slice sushi-grade ahi tuna into 1/4- to 1/2-inch cubes.
- MAKE THE MARINADE: In a large bowl, stir together the spicy marinade ingredients: soy sauce, orange juice, lime juice, sesame oil, green onion, minced ginger, sesame seeds and sriracha.
- ADD DICED TUNA TO THE BOWL: Gently mix to combine, taking care not to break up the pieces of tuna. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 15 minutes (but no longer than 1 hour).
- MAKE THE SPICY MAYO: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, sriracha, and toasted sesame oil.
- ASSEMBLE POKE BOWLS: Add a scoop of cooked sushi rice. Add marinated ahi tuna. For a bold punch, add picked veggies. Add crunchy raw veggies and/or fresh fruit that’s been cubed or sliced. Balance out texture with a soft ingredient like avocado, mango or fried plantains.
- ADD GARNISHES: Add a sprinkle of nori komi furikake, long drizzles of spicy mayo, sriracha, sliced green onion, sesame seeds, and any other desired garnish.
*AHI TUNA: It’s very important to only use fresh, sushi-grade ahi tuna for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED VEGGIES FOR POKE BOWL: In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and 1 teaspoon granulated sugar. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove pan from heat. Add desired veggies. Stir to submerge them in the liquid. Let veggies sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Marinating Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Hawaiian
Keywords: Spicy Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl, Tuna Poke Bowl, Spicy Tuna Poke Bowl, Tuna Poke Bowl Recipe, Spicy Poke Recipe