Strawberry Jello Pie is delicious and refreshing. The ideal no-bake dessert for hot-weather months, it’s super easy to make! Serve Jello Cool Whip Pie for potlucks, holidays and the 4th of July.
STRAWBERRY JELLO PIE FILLING
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 cup refrigerated fruit punch (Minute Maid Berry Punch)
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 box (3 oz.) Jello Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
- 1 tub (8-oz.) Cool Whip, thawed
1 graham cracker crust, store-bought or homemade*
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fresh strawberries (if in season), or stemmed Maraschino cherries
*CRUST SIZE: For this recipe I use a homemade 9-inch crust. But at the market you can buy a ready-to-use crust (6 oz.): graham cracker, vanilla wafer, or shortbread pie crust. Just know, with a smaller store-bought crust you might have a bit of leftover filling.
STRAWBERRY JELLO PIE RECIPE
RECIPE PREP (OPTIONAL): For a sturdier crumb crust, par-bake it 12 to 18 minutes in the center of a 350°F oven. Transfer it to a wire rack to shed heat. Don’t prep the Jello pie filling until the crust has completely cooled.
- Fill a tall glass half way to the top with ice. Pour cold fruit punch over the ice. Put it aside.
- In a heat-safe measuring cup, boil water in the microwave. In a large mixing bowl, combine hot water and strawberry gelatin. Stir or whisk for 2 minutes until gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Over the sink, remove unmelted ice and discard. Measure out 1 cup of cold punch. Add it to the hot Jello mixture. Stir until slightly thickened.
- Add thawed Cool Whip to the bowl. Gently stir or whisk until blended. Refrigerate pie filling for 30 minutes, or until it’s thick enough to mound.
- Spoon filling into the crust. Refrigerate 4 hours (or overnight) until firm.
HOW TO GARNISH JELLO PIE
RECIPE PREP: Make whipped cream. Chill metal bowl and whisk in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to the bowl. Mix on low speed. Gradually increase the speed. Whip until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish the pie with whipped cream. There are several ways to do this. Artfully spoon whipped cream over the surface in wide swirls, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges so the pink filling is visible. Or add whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a metal tip (I use an Ateco #804 tip).
- Garnish the middle or edges with sliced fresh strawberries. Or top each slice with a stemmed Maraschino cherry. Return the pie to the fridge until serving time. For a slightly firmer pie, stick it in the freezer for 35 minutes before slicing.
HOW LONG WILL JELLO PIE LAST? It’s important to keep this cool no-bake dessert refrigerated between servings. If tented with foil and properly refrigerated, it can stay fresh in the fridge with a good texture for 3 to 4 days. Just keep it away from odorous foods.
CAN YOU FREEZE JELLO COOL WHIP PIE? For storage, this is not recommended. Although the pie will be edible, the filling will have an icy, flaky consistency. However, once the pie is made and garnished, you can firm it up a little more by sticking it in the freezer for 35 minutes.
HOW TO GIVE FRESH STRAWBERRIES A SHINY GLOWY LOOK: Brush the berries with a clear glaze. For a homemade fresh fruit glaze: boil 1/4 cup granulated sugar with 1/4 cup Minute Maid fruit punch (or apple juice). In a cup, dissolve 1 tablespoon corn starch in 1/4 cup fruit punch (or juice). Add it to boiled mixture. Cook until thick. Stir in 1 tablespoon corn syrup. Return mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and cool.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Chill Time: 4 1/2 Hours
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Jello Pie, Strawberry Jello Pie, Jello Cool Whip Pie, No-bake Dessert