This delicious chicken pot pie recipe is very simple to make! You can use one standard-size pie dish or make 5-6 mini chicken pot pies. This homemade goodness boasts a beautiful, flaky double crust and a hearty savory filling.
- 2 + 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken-flavored bouillon granules
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced petite carrots
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 + 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (same as whipping cream)
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 + 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, cubed
- 8–10 frozen pearl onions*
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 batches of homemade pie dough (chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes)**
- Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
RECIPE PREP: Prepare a double batch of this 5-minute homemade pie crust recipe.
- Adjust the oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Warm the chicken broth in a small pot. Stir in bouillon granules until dissolved.
- In a cast-iron pan, saute veggies in butter until tender: yellow onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and pearl onions. Add thyme and flour to the pan. Stir and mix until flour is lump free. Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Stir in cooked pieces of rotisserie chicken. Allow mixture to simmer for a few minutes until the chicken is warm.
- Roll out the pie dough just slightly thinner than 1/4 inch. Cut it into circles large enough to line the bottom of the ramekins. Line the ramekins. Slice off excess dough. With a fork, pierce bottom and sides of the dough several times.
- Evenly divide chicken pot pie filling among the ramekins. Place dough rounds on top of the filling, covering the entire surface of the ramekins. Crimp the edges of the dough. Brush the surface with egg wash. Cut two intersecting slits across the top of each chicken pot pie.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- When using fresh pearl onions boil them for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes to make them tender. Drain well.
- For store-bought pie crusts, buy two 9-ounce packages of unbaked crusts.
- Category: Dinner, Comfort Food
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic recipe, dinner, kid-friendly, comfort food