Chicken pot pie is the perfect comfort food for cold-weather days. It’s warm and cozy, and makes you feel all happy inside! This easy chicken pot pie recipe boasts a golden, flaky double crust and a fabulous savory filling! Every member of your family will look forward to this wonderful home-cooked meal.
About This Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This hearty satisfying dish is super simple to prepare. Make one large pie or 5-6 mini chicken pot pies. Save time by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken. Save money by using homemade pie dough. Our homemade pie crust recipe takes only 5 minutes to make with just a few basic ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Chilled butter
- Chilled shortening
- Ice water
Ingredients for Chicken Pot Pie Filling
These are the ingredients for our delicious chicken pot pie filling:
- Chicken broth
- Chicken-flavored bouillon granules
- Yellow onion
- Petite carrots
- Garlic cloves
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredient List Continued
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme
- All-purpose flour
- Heavy cream (same as whipping cream)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Rotisserie chicken breast
- Frozen or fresh pearl onions
- Frozen peas
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
Here’s how to make this easy chicken pot pie recipe!
- Prepare a double batch of this easy homemade pie crust recipe.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Warm the chicken broth in a small pot.
- Stir in the bouillon granules until dissolved.
- Pull out a large cast-iron skillet. Here I’m using my beloved Staub Universal Pan.
- Add butter to the skillet. Saute the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and pearl onions until all the veggies are tender.
- NOTE: If using fresh pearl onions rather than frozen, boil them in water for 2-1/2 minutes to soften. Drain well.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Add thyme and flour to the skillet. Stir for about two minutes until the flour becomes thick and pasty and there are no lumps.
- Add in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and apple cider vinegar. Stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Add in the cubed pieces of cooked rotisserie chicken. Stir to incorporate.
Chicken Pot Pie Crust Recipe
- Roll out the pie dough so it’s just slightly thinner than 1/4-inch.
- Cut the dough into rounds that will fit your 5 chicken pot pie dishes.
- Arrange half the dough rounds within the dishes. Cut off excess dough.
- Prick the crusts several times with a fork.
- Fill the pie dishes evenly with the chicken pot pie filling.
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- Arrange the remaining dough rounds on top. Crimp the edges.
- With a knife, slice two intersecting cuts across the tops.
- Prepare an egg wash: beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water.
- Brush the surface of the mini chicken pot pies with egg wash.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
- Cool the hot pies until warm.
- Garnish with a fresh sprig of thyme.
- Serve and enjoy!
Kitchen Tools for Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
I love using my beautiful Staub Universal Pan with lid. The one below is exactly like mine. The ramekins used for these mini chicken pot pies have a 13.52-ounce capacity (1.62 cups) and these dimensions: 5.1″W x 6.75″L x 2.5″H. The individual pie plate shown below has a 1.5 cup capacity.
MORE FALL RECIPES YOU’LL ENJOY
Delicious SOUR CREAM MASHED POTATOES are a Thanksgiving tradition!
Scrumptious HOMEMADE GRAVY is a dinner-time staple of the cold-weather months!
Beautiful PARKER HOUSE ROLLS are a bread-basket favorite!
RECIPE FOR CHICKEN POT PIE > PIN IT NOW
Save this chicken pot pie recipe for later. Pin it to Pinterest right now!Print
This delicious chicken pot pie recipe is very simple to make! You can use one standard-size pie dish or make 5-6 mini chicken pot pies. This homemade goodness boasts a beautiful, flaky double crust and a hearty savory filling.
- 2 + 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken-flavored bouillon granules
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced petite carrots
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 + 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (same as whipping cream)
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 + 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, cubed
- 8–10 frozen pearl onions*
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 batches of homemade pie dough (chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes)**
- Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
RECIPE PREP: Prepare a double batch of this 5-minute homemade pie crust recipe.
- Adjust the oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Warm the chicken broth in a small pot. Stir in bouillon granules until dissolved.
- In a cast-iron pan, saute veggies in butter until tender: yellow onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and pearl onions. Add thyme and flour to the pan. Stir and mix until flour is lump free. Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Stir in cooked pieces of rotisserie chicken. Allow mixture to simmer for a few minutes until the chicken is warm.
- Roll out the pie dough just slightly thinner than 1/4 inch. Cut it into circles large enough to line the bottom of the ramekins. Line the ramekins. Slice off excess dough. With a fork, pierce bottom and sides of the dough several times.
- Evenly divide chicken pot pie filling among the ramekins. Place dough rounds on top of the filling, covering the entire surface of the ramekins. Crimp the edges of the dough. Brush the surface with egg wash. Cut two intersecting slits across the top of each chicken pot pie.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- When using fresh pearl onions boil them for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes to make them tender. Drain well.
- For store-bought pie crusts, buy two 9-ounce packages of unbaked crusts.
- Category: Dinner, Comfort Food
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: classic recipe, dinner, kid-friendly, comfort food
CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
When was the last time you enjoyed mini chicken pot pies? Do you love the idea of a double crust? I invite you to share your thoughts in the comments below. BE SURE TO RATE THIS RECIPE!