With a perfect balance of sweet and tart, this classic Key lime pie is beautiful, creamy and delicious! Easy to make, it’s the ideal summertime dessert.
INGREDIENTS FOR KEY LIME PIE:
- 1 unbaked graham cracker crust, chilled
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup Key lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (plus more for garnishing)
- Optional: 2-3 drops green food coloring
INGREDIENTS FOR WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
KEY LIME PIE – CRUST & FILLING
RECIPE PREP: Adjust oven rack to the center. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush a COLD/CHILLED graham crust with egg wash (one large egg white whisked with one tablespoon water). This will create a moisture barrier for the filling and help prevent a soggy crust. Bake the crust in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Allow it to shed heat. Then chill it in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and yolks to a large mixing bowl. Whisk well until fully combined. Add lime juice, lemon juice, and lime zest to the bowl. Whisk until fully incorporated. OPTIONAL: Add 2 drops of green food coloring. Mix well. If desired, add a third drop.
- Pour filling into the crust. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake 15-20 minutes until the center of the pie is set. The filling will still be jiggly! Cool on a wire rack. The residual heat will continue “cooking” the filling. But refrigeration will make it firm.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, or overnight. DO NOT cover the pie with plastic or the filling will stick to it. Instead leave the pie uncovered, or gently place a large, upside-down domed plate on top.
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
RECIPE PREP: Chill a metal bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add heavy cream to the cold bowl. Start whipping on low speed. Gradually increase the speed until soft peaks form. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in powdered sugar. Add vanilla extract. Whip until mixture thickens and increases in volume. Make sure not to over-whip, or your homemade topping will fall flat.
GARNISH KEY LIME PIE
- Spoon whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a metal tip. Decorate as desired. Another option: place a large spoonful of whipped topping in the center of the pie. Gently spread the dollop a circular motion, leaving a 1 1/2-inch rim of visible filling.
- Sprinkle the top with lime zest. For an added touch, crown the pie with a spiral slice of lime!
- HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE FASTER: Use a store-bought, graham cracker crust. Use bottled lemon and lime juice. For the topping, buy a canister of whipped cream!
- CAN I USE REGULAR LIME JUICE? If you can’t find Key limes at the market, you absolutely use regular limes or standard lime juice. There will be a subtle flavor difference, but your Key lime pie will still taste amazing!
- IS THIS A MAKE-AHEAD DESSERT? Yes it is! Assemble your pie in advance, without the topping, and refrigerate for up to 4 days. It’s so convenient.
- MORE INFO ABOUT THIS RECIPE: Further details are included in the body of the post, along with step-by-step recipe images.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven + Refrigerator
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Key Lime Pie