Delicious mint brownies are the perfect treat for chocolate lovers! This dessert is iced with fabulous mint frosting, then covered with decadent chocolate ganache. When it comes to the best brownie recipe, this one’s a keeper!
INGREDIENTS FOR MINT BROWNIES
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Hershey’s dark cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
INGREDIENTS FOR MINT FROSTING
- 2–1/4 powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (same as heavy whipping cream)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 – 1/2 teaspoon pure mint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Green food coloring
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1 + 1/2 cups heavy cream (same as heavy whipping cream)
- 4 four-ounce semisweet chocolate baking bars (high quality), snapped into small pieces
- Andes Mints
DIRECTIONS FOR MINT BROWNIES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease an 8X8 baking pan with butter. If you would rather pull the brownies out of the pan instead of serving them inside it, line the pan with an oversized piece parchment paper that hangs slightly over the sides.
- With a wooden spoon or spatula, mix the melted butter and granulated sugar until well combined. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and mint extract. Stir well. Add in the cocoa. Mix to blend while also breaking up as many lumps as possible. Stir in the baking powder and salt. Add the flour and mix until fully incorporated.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan before adding the mint frosting.
DIRECTIONS FOR MINT FROSTING
- With a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together. The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat on high until smooth.
- Add the mint extract 1/8 teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired mint flavor. Add in a few drops of green food coloring and mix again.
- When the brownies have cooled completely, frost the brownies with mint frosting. Stick the mint brownies into the freezer for 25-30 minutes or until the mint frosting has hardened.
DIRECTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the heavy cream to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the pieces of chocolate. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir the mixture until all of the chocolate has melted and is fully incorporated.
- Transfer the chocolate ganache to a heat-safe bowl with a spout. Refrigerate the ganache just until it cools down to room temperature.
- Pour the ganache over the top of the frosted mint brownies and spread it out evenly over the frosting. Stick the mint brownies into the freezer for about 25-30 minutes or until the ganache has hardened. If desired, garnish the brownies with Andes Mints just before the ganache has completely hardened.
HOW TO SERVE MINT BROWNIES
Slice the mint brownies into nine squares. Enjoy with a glass of milk or coffee!
EXPERT TIPS FOR MINT BROWNIES
- HOW TO MAKE SLICING MINT BROWNIES EASIER:Place the brownies, still in their pan, in the freezer to chill until the ganache hardens. For slicing, run a sharp knife under hot water. Dry the knife thoroughly with a dishcloth. Cut the brownies immediately.
- HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE QUICKER: Use boxed brownie mix and a tub of white pre-made frosting! Add drops of mint extract and green food coloring to the frosting, as desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: dessert, party
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mint brownies, mint chocolate brownies