Puff pastry dough is quick and easy to make! With just 3 ingredients and 15 minutes you’ll have delicious, buttery, puff pastry dough that will rival any ready-made dough sold at the market. It’s perfect for making a long list of dinners and desserts, including homemade pop tarts!
- 1 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus a bit extra for rolling out the dough)
- 10 tablespoons high-quality salted butter, chilled
- 1/3 cup ice-cold water
- Fill a large drinking cup with ice cubes and add water. Set the cup aside.
- On a cutting board, chop the butter into very tiny pieces. Add the butter and flour to a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combine. With a pastry blender or fork, cut the butter into the flour until it’s well incorporated.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of ice water. Pour it over the mixture. Stir with a fork. With clean hands, blend the mixture into a dough. You will still see tiny specks of butter. Gather the dough together into a ball and transfer it to a lightly-floured pastry board. NOTE: Don’t add in too much extra flour! Just a few touches as needed to prevent stickiness.
- Pat the dough down into a basic rough square. Using a lightly-floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle approximately 10-inches long. Fold the dough into thirds (just like folding a business letter). Rotate the dough a quarter turn. Roll it out into a rectangle again. Repeat this process 6 times: folding, rotating, rolling.
- Place the dough into a quart-sized ziplock and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using. (This puff pastry dough can be refrigerated overnight.) When you’re ready to use the dough, roll it out into a 12 X 8-1/2 inch rectangle. Slice into sections.
SALTED OR UNSALTED BUTTER? You can also use unsalted butter for this puff pastry recipe. Simply add 1/4 teaspoon fine salt to the flour. Gently mix the flour and salt together before adding in the butter.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Dessert, Dinner
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American, French
Keywords: puff pastry dough, pastry dough, puff pastry dough recipe, homemade puff pastry