Puff pastry dough is very versatile! You can use this recipe as the base for making a variety of dinners and desserts. Homemade puff pastry is much more scrumptious than ready-made dough from your local grocery store. Make a batch of puff pastry dough with just 3 ingredients in 15 minutes!
ABOUT PUFF PASTRY DOUGH
Last weekend I was craving homemade ham and cheese pockets. So I headed into the kitchen to make a quick batch of puff pastry dough. Once you make your first batch I’m sure you’ll agree: this easy puff pastry dough is a life-changing recipe! It’s also a real money-saver. Say goodbye to store-bought dough!
WHAT TYPE OF BUTTER FOR PUFF PASTRY DOUGH?
Puff pastry dough requires high-quality butter. Here’s the reason: high-quality butter has a higher fat content than its cheaper counterparts. Low-quality butter contains a high quantity of water which is not a prime ingredient for making puff pastry dough. This water-adding practice helps manufacturer keep their butter prices down. If over the years you’ve consistently been using loss-leader-priced butter in your baked goods, you may have noticed a fairly significant change in the outcome of your recipes. Although it may pinch the pocketbook, whenever you’re purchasing butter for baking reach for high-quality butter from brands you trust.
KITCHEN TOOSL FOR PUFF PASTRY DOUGH
These helpful kitchen tools are perfect for making a variety of recipes, including this easy puff pastry dough!
PUFF PASTRY DOUGH RECIPE IDEAS
This easy-to-make puff pastry dough is a real game-changer. It’s so darn versatile! You can now quickly and easily make homemade hot pockets, ham-and-cheese pinwheels, croissants, apple turnovers, puff pastry twists, gourmet pizza appetizers, empanadas, crust for chicken pot pie, cinnamon roll bites, and so much more!
Puff pastry dough is quick and easy to make! With just 3 ingredients and 15 minutes you’ll have delicious, buttery, puff pastry dough that will rival any ready-made dough sold at the market. It’s perfect for making a long list of dinners and desserts, including homemade pop tarts!
- 1 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus a bit extra for rolling out the dough)
- 10 tablespoons high-quality salted butter, chilled
- 1/3 cup ice-cold water
- Fill a large drinking cup with ice cubes and add water. Set the cup aside.
- On a cutting board, chop the butter into very tiny pieces. Add the butter and flour to a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combine. With a pastry blender or fork, cut the butter into the flour until it’s well incorporated.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of ice water. Pour it over the mixture. Stir with a fork. With clean hands, blend the mixture into a dough. You will still see tiny specks of butter. Gather the dough together into a ball and transfer it to a lightly-floured pastry board. NOTE: Don’t add in too much extra flour! Just a few touches as needed to prevent stickiness.
- Pat the dough down into a basic rough square. Using a lightly-floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle approximately 10-inches long. Fold the dough into thirds (just like folding a business letter). Rotate the dough a quarter turn. Roll it out into a rectangle again. Repeat this process 6 times: folding, rotating, rolling.
- Place the dough into a quart-sized ziplock and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using. (This puff pastry dough can be refrigerated overnight.) When you’re ready to use the dough, roll it out into a 12 X 8-1/2 inch rectangle. Slice into sections.
SALTED OR UNSALTED BUTTER? You can also use unsalted butter for this puff pastry recipe. Simply add 1/4 teaspoon fine salt to the flour. Gently mix the flour and salt together before adding in the butter.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Dessert, Dinner
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American, French
Keywords: puff pastry dough, pastry dough, puff pastry dough recipe, homemade puff pastry
RECIPES TO MAKE ASAP
If you enjoyed this puff pastry dough recipe, you’ll love these recipes too!
How to Make the Best Cinnamon Rolls >> Copycat Recipe for Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
How to Make Moist & Delicious Scones >> Lemon Blueberry Scones with Vanilla Glaze
How to Make Scrumptious Pizza Dough >> The Best Pizza Dough Recipe
PUFF PASTRY DOUGH – JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What recipes would you like to make with your puff pastry dough? Share your favorite ideas puff pastry recipes in the comment section below!