This luscious shamrock shake is a copycat McDonald’s recipe. It’s rich and refreshing, with a creamy satisfying mouthfeel. The perfect green minty drink for St. Patrick’s Day.
- 1 pint (16 ounces) vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon green gel food coloring
- Whipped cream
- Green candy sprinkles
- Maraschino cherries
- Chocolate sauce
- In the container of a high-speed blender, add vanilla ice cream, milk, peppermint extract, and green gel food coloring. Blend briefly until smooth – about 30 seconds.
- Divide the milkshake between 4 small glasses, or 2 large glasses. If desired, top each drink with a generous dollop of whipped cream, green candy sprinkles (or edible gold stars), and a stemmed maraschino cherry.
How to make a dairy-free shamrock shake: Swap the ice cream and milk for non-dairy options. As a substitute for vanilla ice cream try using full-fat (canned) coconut milk – freeze it in ice cube trays. For a dairy milk replacement, try almond milk or soy milk plus vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Use a natural green food coloring. Top the shake with coconut whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Shamrock Shake, McDonald's Shamrock Shake, Shamrock Shake Recipe, Homemade Shamrock Shake