These spicy grilled shrimp skewers are perfect for the grilling season. Served with juicy slices of lime and a dipping sauce, this grilled shrimp recipe doubles as both an appetizer or main course! If you’ve been craving shrimp tacos, this is the recipe to use!
- 1 pound fresh shrimp (medium/large), peeled and deveined
- 2–3 whole chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (with seeds), from a 7-ounce can
- 2 tablespoons adobe sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 3 + 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 small avocados, skin and pits removed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons minced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
GRILLED SHRIMP RECIPE
- Dice the chipotle peppers and add them to a small bowl. Measure out the adobe sauce and olive oil and add those to the bowl as well. Squeeze the lime juice and press the garlic. Add those ingredients to the bowl along with the chopped cilantro, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. Place the shrimp into a zip-top kitchen bag. Pour the marinade over the shrimp. Zip the bag and gently massage it to distribute the spicy marinade. Every piece of shrimp should be fully coated with the marinade. Refrigerate the shrimp for 20-30 minutes so it can marinate.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 20-30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Skewer the shrimp. If you desire juicy shrimp, skewer the shrimp so that the pieces are touching. If you prefer charred or slightly crispy shrimp, leave some space between the pieces.
- Heat up your grill over medium or medium-high heat. Brush a bit of oil over the surface of the grill to prevent sticking. Lay the shrimp skewers over the grill. Cook for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes and then flip them over. Cook another 2 to 2-1/2 minutes then remove them from the grill. Check for doneness by slicing a piece through the thickest section. When fully cooked, the inside should be solid white. Take care to not overcook your shrimp or they will develop a rubbery texture.
- Garnish with more chopped cilantro. Serve with creamy avocado dipping sauce and wedges of lime.
DIPPING SAUCE RECIPE
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. Pulse until creamy. Transfer to a small serving bowl and refrigerate until serving time.
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Party
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
Keywords: shrimp skewers, grilled shrimp, shrimp marinade, avocado dipping sauce, grilled shrimp recipe, grilled shrimp skewers