Get ready for awesome summer grilling with spicy grilled lime shrimp with creamy avocado dipping sauce! This flavorful Mexican-inspired recipe is quick and easy to make and pairs up perfectly with a refreshing glass of Sutter Home Zinfandel or Sutter Home Pink Moscato. Sutter Home sweet wines pair perfectly with spicy foods. From years of entertaining, I’ve found the Sutter Home brand is the ideal wine to bring people together to share good times. It allows me to embrace my family and guests with a beautiful warm feeling of genuine Latin hospitality!
This post is intended for an audience of adults age 21 and older. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SutterHomeSweetOnSpice #CollectiveBias
What is a Good Marinade for Grilled Shrimp?
This recipe is a fabulous marinade for grilled shrimp! It’s packed with authentic-Mexican flavor that delivers a gentle yet firm kick of heat! These are the simple ingredients you’ll need to make a marinade that’s mouth-wateringly delicious: a can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, virgin olive oil, freshly-squeezed lime juice, salt, freshly-ground black pepper, garlic cloves, cilantro, and brown sugar.
Spicy Grilled Lime Shrimp Skewers
When making spicy grilled lime shrimp skewers, purchase one pound of fresh uncooked shrimp at a local market. To make things easy, I recommend buying medium-sized shrimp that are already shelled and deveined. Then head over to the wine aisle and look for Sutter Home White Zinfandel. It’s an award-winning wine at an affordable price point!
Spicy Grilled Lime Shrimp Recipe
After preparing the marinade (scroll down to the recipe card for printable instructions), rinse off the shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. Place them into a zippered plastic bag and then pour the marinade on top. Gently massage the plastic bag to evenly distribute the marinade. Allow the shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. It’s now time to soak your wooden skewers!
How to Skewer Grilled Shrimp
IMPORTANT TIP FOR WOODEN SKEWERS: Fill a shallow dish or baking tray with water. Soak the wooden skewers for 20-30 minutes (the same amount of time your shrimp is marinating in the refrigerator). Allowing the skewers enough time to absorb water before use will help prevent them from scorching and falling apart on the grill. After the soaking period, skewer medium-size shrimp by piercing the thick part of the shrimp close to the tail. Run the skewer through the shrimp a second time at the wide area toward the top. Double skewering will prevent your seafood from easily rotating around the skewer or falling off the stick while grilling. When skewering jumbo shrimp, it’s best to use two skewers instead of one. You can thread 4-5 jumbo shrimp on a set of two skewers. If you want juicer shrimp, skewer them closer together. For crispy or charred shrimp, leave a small space on the skewer between each piece. Your shrimp is now ready to hit the grill!
How Long Do I Cook Shrimp on the Grill?
Heat up your grill over medium to medium-high heat. Brush some oil over the grill to prevent sticking. Lay your skewers over the grill and cook for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side. Take care not to overcook your shrimp or the texture will become rubbery. How do you know if shrimp is cooked? Take a sharp knife and slice through the thickest part of the grilled shrimp. Cooked shrimp should be solid white inside.
Recipe for Creamy Avocado Dipping Sauce
In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, two small avocados, lime juice, chopped cilantro, minced jalapeno, pressed garlic, white onion, and salt and pepper. For a creamier consistency, briefly process the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Transfer the avocado-lime dipping sauce to a small serving bowl. For individual-size servings, spoon it into several small dipping cups. Right now, just before guests begin to arrive, is the perfect time to take a little breather. Pour a bright crisp glass of Sutter Home Pink Moscato and enjoy the moment.
Relax and Unwind with Sutter Home
Now that the weather’s heating up, we’re all heading outdoors to relax and unwind. Sutter Home is the perfect choice for all occasions, and pairs beautifully with spicy foods like this grilled shrimp recipe! From a casual wine tasting with friends, a fun girls’ night in, to a family backyard gathering, Sutter Home makes everyday occasions a little more special. Since 1948, Sutter Home Family Vineyards has received over 400 gold medals. I feel a real sense of pride when serving and enjoying their delicious wine with friends.
Spicy Grilled Shrimp Skewers + Sutter Home
Sutter Home’s 65+ year history of providing award-winning California wines at affordable prices gives new wine users the confidence that every bottle of Sutter Home will deliver consistent product quality and superior value. If you love this grilled shrimp recipe and want a taste of this excellent wine, discover more varietals and pairings to delight your palate along with additional recipe inspiration: SUTTER HOME
How to Garnish and Serve Spicy Grilled Lime Shrimp
I hope you enjoyed this spicy grilled shrimp recipe! I sure had fun sharing it. For an authentic Mexican flare, serve it with juicy wedges of lime as well as the creamy avocado dipping sauce. To add a bit more festive color, garnish this yummy appetizer with more chopped cilantro.
Spicy Grilled Lime Shrimp with Avocado Dipping Sauce
Yield 7 skewers
These spicy grilled lime shrimp skewers are perfect for the grilling season. Served with juicy slices of lime and a delicious avocado dipping sauce, this shrimp recipe will delight your family and guests and have them coming back for more! And if you've been craving shrimp tacos, this is the recipe to use!
SPICY GRILLED LIME SHRIMP SKEWERS
- 1 pound fresh shrimp (medium/large), peeled and deveined
- 2-3 whole chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (with seeds), from a 7-ounce can
- 2 tablespoons adobe sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 3 + 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
CREAMY AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 small avocados, skin and pits removed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons minced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
SPICY GRILLED LIME SHRIMP SKEWERS
- Dice the chipotle peppers and add them to a small bowl. Measure out the adobe sauce and olive oil and add those to the bowl as well. Squeeze the lime juice and press the garlic. Add those ingredients to the bowl along with the chopped cilantro, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. Place the shrimp into a zip-top kitchen bag. Pour the marinade over the shrimp. Zip the bag and gently massage it to distribute the spicy marinade. Every piece of shrimp should be fully coated with the marinade. Refrigerate the shrimp for 20-30 minutes so it can marinate.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 20-30 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Skewer the shrimp. If you desire juicy shrimp, skewer the shrimp so that the pieces are touching. If you prefer charred or slightly crispy shrimp, leave some space between the pieces.
- Heat up your grill over medium or medium-high heat. Brush a bit of oil over the surface of the grill to prevent sticking. Lay the shrimp skewers over the grill. Cook for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes and then flip them over. Cook another 2 to 2-1/2 minutes then remove them from the grill. Check for doneness by slicing a piece through the thickest section. When fully cooked, the inside should be solid white. Take care to not overcook your shrimp or they will develop a rubbery texture.
- Garnish with more chopped cilantro. Serve with creamy avocado dipping sauce and wedges of lime.
CREAMY AVOCADO DIPPING SAUCE
To make this easy, tasty avocado dipping sauce, add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Pulse until creamy. Transfer to a small serving bowl and refrigerate until serving time.
Courses Lunch, Dinner, Party
Cuisine Mexican, Tex-Mex
GRILLED SHRIMP RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this yummy recipe for grilled shrimp skewers. Pin it to Pinterest right now!
GRILLED SHRIMP SKEWERS AND SUTTER HOME > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy firing up the grill to cook delicious healthy recipes at home? What do you think about this scrumptious spicy grilled shrimp with avocado dipping sauce? What Sutter Home varietal will you pair up with your dinner tonight? I invite you to join the conversation in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!