- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 1 15-ounce can mandarin oranges
- 1/2 small red onion
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 3/4 cup candied walnuts
- 1 cup creamy balsamic dressing *
*SALAD DRESSING: Homemade dressing tastes fresher than store-bought. But to save time, reach for a high-quality bottle at the market. A fan favorite: Newman’s Own Creamy Balsamic Dressing.
RECIPE PREP: In a colander, rinse strawberries under cool running water. Gently bounce colander up and down to shed water off the berries. Spread them out on a clean lint-free towel to dry.
- Hull the strawberries (remove green leafy top plus the pale bit of flesh right underneath). Slice strawberries in half vertically, top-down, from the tip through the middle.
- Thinly slice the red onion. Soak the slices in a bowl of ice water until it’s time to assemble the salad. Swish them around in the water every now and then. This is how chefs reduce the harsh biting flavor and powerful aftertaste of raw onion.
- Drain off the juices from the canned mandarin oranges.
- Stem and clean fresh spinach. Pinch off the stems and discard them. Rinse leaves in a colander under cool running water to remove grit.
- Assemble the strawberry spinach salad. Add spinach, strawberries, mandarin orange segments, red onion, feta cheese and a handful of candied walnuts. Gently toss to combine.
HOW TO SERVE STRAWBERRY SALAD: If the entire salad will be portioned out and served immediately, drizzle with 1/3 cup balsamic dressing and toss. Leave extra dressing on the side.
If salad will be served incrementally, do not dress it. Instead, let each person serve and dress their own.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Spinach Salad, Summer Strawberry Salad, Strawberry Spinach Salad Recipe, Summer Salad, Spinach and Strawberry Salad