This is the best tomato basil soup! Delicious, fragrant, and deeply-satisfying, it’s the perfect comfort food recipe. Take it from stovetop to table in 35 minutes! Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
INGREDIENTS FOR TOMATO SOUP
- 3 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly-ground
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, torn and packed
- Olive oil
- Heavy cream
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- Add butter and olive oil to a Dutch oven, or a large heavy pot, over medium heat. When butter has melted, add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Sautée until onions are lightly-brown and fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes to the pot with all their juices. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Add basil leaves to the pot. Stir well.
- Allow the tomato soup to simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Do a taste test. Add more salt, if needed. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top.
- Transfer soup to a blender. Process until smooth. Return soup to pot.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, twists of freshly-ground pepper, a swirl of heavy cream, a generous sprinkle of grated parmesan, and a scattering of torn basil leaves.
- HOW TO REDUCE ACIDITY IN TOMATO SOUP: Sometimes canned tomatoes may be too acidic. Simmering the soup a little bit longer can help take the edge off. Another easy way to neutralize the acid is with granulated sugar. Start by adding one tablespoon sugar, and adjust from there. Garnishing the soup with heavy cream will also smooth out the flavor.
- SWAP FOR HEAVY CREAM: When garnishing individual bowls of tomato basil soup, use half and half, or a dollop of sour cream!
- MORE FLAVORFUL GARNISH IDEAS: Try a drizzle of pesto and a sprinkling of pine nuts. Instead of croutons, add a parmesan crisp.
- STUNNING GARNISHES: Want a unique and stunning garnish? Choose edible flowers. Look for them in the packaged herb section of your local market. Experiment with contrasting colors and shapes. Basil flowers are an excellent choice for creamy tomato basil soup!
- HOW TO FREEZE TOMATO BASIL SOUP: Cool the soup to room temperature. Transfer it to quart-size freezer bags that have been labeled with the date. Remove excess air. Freeze flat. When ready to use, thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on stovetop or in the microwave.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian, American
Keywords: Tomato Basil Soup, Tomato Soup