Chocolate Belgian waffles are a great way to start the day.
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 bag of mini chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- thick chocolate syrup or hot fudge (the type used for ice cream sundaes)
- Optional garnishes: melted or softened butter, whipped cream and a Maraschino cherry
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees (to keep cooked waffles warm). Preheat your waffle iron per appliance instructions.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, malted milk powder, and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Add in the wet ingredients: milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated. The Belgian waffle batter will be thick. Add in the mini chocolate chips and mix again briefly.
- Brush the grills of the waffle iron with melted butter or oil, or use a cooking spray to keep your chocolate waffles from sticking to the grills.
- Pour one cup of waffle batter onto the center of the waffle iron. Close the waffle iron and cook according to appliance directions. For the heart-shaped waffle maker I use it takes one minute to cook on the first side, then just 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on the second side. If you’re making several waffles, store the cooked waffles on a baking tray inside your warm oven until the waffle-making process is completed.
- Serve your triple chocolate Belgian waffles with butter, whipped cream and generous drizzles of thick chocolate syrup or hot fudge. If you’re feeling fancy, add a bright-red Maraschino cherry on top!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert, Party
- Method: Waffle iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate waffles, chocolate waffle recipe, belgian waffle recipe