Decadent triple chocolate Belgian waffles are the perfect breakfast or dessert on Valentine’s Day! They literally transport you to chocolate heaven. Made with cocoa, mini chocolate chips and drizzled in a thick chocolate syrup, these beautiful chocolate Belgian waffles are meant to be shared and savored with the one you love. I wish you could reach right through your screen and grab one or two right now! Mmmm…
Ingredients for Chocolate Belgian Waffle Recipe
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make decadent triple chocolate waffles: all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, malted milk powder, natural unsweetened cocoa powder, milk, large eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract (pure Mexican vanilla extract is the best type!), and mini chocolate chips. For garnishing: whipped cream and thick chocolate syrup or hot fudge. If you’re serving chocolate waffles for dessert, a large scoop of vanilla ice cream will elevate this Belgian waffle recipe to the next level!
How to Make Belgian Chocolate Waffles
Making scrumptious chocolate waffles is quick and easy to do! Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Preheat your waffle iron according to the appliance instructions. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the dry ingredients. Mix until blended. One by one, add each of the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated into the Belgian waffle batter. The batter will be thick. Add mini chocolate chips to the bowl and mix briefly. Your decadent triple chocolate waffles are ready to be made!
Chocolate Belgian Waffles Made from Scratch
To help prevent the chocolate Belgian waffles from sticking to your waffle maker, lightly brush the grids of the waffle iron with butter or oil, or use a cooking spray. Once your waffle iron is heated and ready, pour one cup of waffle batter onto the center of the grids. Close the waffle iron. Cook according to appliance instructions.
When making Belgian chocolate waffles in my heart-shaped waffle maker, it takes one minute on the first side and then I flip my waffle iron over. My Belgian waffle then cooks for another 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on the second side. Place your cooked waffle on a baking tray and stick it in the oven to keep it warm while you’re preparing more chocolate waffles. This will also help to further crisp things up.
How to Serve Triple Chocolate Belgian Waffles
These triple chocolate Belgian waffles have a beautiful taste and texture. They’re crisp on the outside, super tender on the inside and not overly sweet. The flavors are decadent but also wonderfully well balanced. Serve your chocolate waffles fresh and hot right off the grids with melted or softened butter, whipped cream and generous drizzles of thick chocolate syrup or hot fudge. You’ll love that this easy Belgian waffle recipe can be made in advance. This is really helpful when preparing a large brunch with several different menu items. Simply freeze the waffles in a ziplock freezer bag. When you’re ready to serve them, just rewarm the waffles in your conventional oven or toaster.
Best Belgian Waffle Recipe
If you want to get extra fancy, sprinkle some chocolate jimmies over the chocolate waffles and top everything off with whipped cream with a bright-red Maraschino cherry. Ahhh…doesn’t this look good? Sometimes you absolutely can have your cake and your Belgian waffles too!
Recommended Kitchen Tools for Chocolate Belgian Waffles
My Sweetheart non-stick waffle pan is perfect for making heart-shaped chocolate waffles. I bought mine at Williams Sonoma, but you can get yours online through Amazon. I love that it’s quick and easy to use and makes waffles in 3 minutes flat. The fact that the top and bottom halves separate for easy cleaning was a huge selling point for me. No more messy clean up of grills that cannot be removed from a waffle iron. Now I can make super-cute, yummy Belgian waffles all the time with minimal clean-up. This sweetheart waffle iron along with this chocolate waffles recipe make a perfect Valentine’s Day gift!Print
Chocolate Belgian waffles are a great way to start the day.
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 bag of mini chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- thick chocolate syrup or hot fudge (the type used for ice cream sundaes)
- Optional garnishes: melted or softened butter, whipped cream and a Maraschino cherry
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees (to keep cooked waffles warm). Preheat your waffle iron per appliance instructions.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, malted milk powder, and cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Add in the wet ingredients: milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated. The Belgian waffle batter will be thick. Add in the mini chocolate chips and mix again briefly.
- Brush the grills of the waffle iron with melted butter or oil, or use a cooking spray to keep your chocolate waffles from sticking to the grills.
- Pour one cup of waffle batter onto the center of the waffle iron. Close the waffle iron and cook according to appliance directions. For the heart-shaped waffle maker I use it takes one minute to cook on the first side, then just 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on the second side. If you’re making several waffles, store the cooked waffles on a baking tray inside your warm oven until the waffle-making process is completed.
- Serve your triple chocolate Belgian waffles with butter, whipped cream and generous drizzles of thick chocolate syrup or hot fudge. If you’re feeling fancy, add a bright-red Maraschino cherry on top!
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Dessert, Party
- Method: Waffle iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate waffles, chocolate waffle recipe, belgian waffle recipe
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE BELGIAN WAFFLES > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this chocolatey Belgian waffles recipe for later!
MORE YUMMY BREAKFAST IDEAS
Chocolate waffles are perfect any time of the year, but to mix things up below are other delicious breakfast ideas you and your family will really enjoy. Buen provecho!
FUNFETTI PANCAKES FROM SCRATCH
BLUEBERRY OATMEAL BAKE
YOGURT PARFAIT WITH FRUIT COMPOTE
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE BELGIAN WAFFLES > YOUR THOUGHTS
Do you enjoy making yummy Belgian waffles from scratch? What are your favorite toppings? What do you think about this triple chocolate Belgian waffle recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!