Baked chicken meatballs, basil pesto and shaved Parmesan cheese raise the flavor profile of this beautiful Italian wedding soup recipe. This flavorful noodle soup is a family favorite!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups petite carrots, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 12 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 ounces baby spinach, stems removed (or baby kale, chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 pound short-cut pasta
- 1 1/2 cups shaved Parmesan cheese
- Start by making the meatballs with this CHICKEN MEATBALL RECIPE.
- In heavily salted water, boil the pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- In a large heavy pot, saute onion in olive oil over medium/high heat for about 5 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize. Reduce the heat to low. Add the carrots, celery and herbs to the pot. Saute for another 5 minutes. Add the pesto, lemon juice and broth. Simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the spinach into the soup so that all leaves are completely submerged in the broth. Simmer another 5 minutes so the leaves can wilt. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the meatballs and noodles to the pot. If desired, add a light drizzling of olive oil over the top.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and wedges of fresh lemon.
- CHICKEN MEATBALLS: Increase the flavor profile by using 3/4 pound ground chicken breast and 1/4 pound ground chicken sausage (breakfast sausage or sweet Italian sausage, no casings). Consider doubling the recipe for these flavorful chicken meatballs. It’s hard to resist snacking on a few before the soup is even done!
- NO TIME FOR MAKING MEATBALLS? Saute a pound of ground Italian chicken sausage (no casings) with the onions!
- SPICE IT UP! Add a tablespoon of healthy turmeric for a lovely golden broth. A sprinkling of red pepper flakes adds a pleasant touch of heat to this rustic Italian soup.
- BRIGHTEN THE FLAVOR OF THE BROTH with a few extra squeezes of fresh lemon juice!
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Soup, Dinner
- Method: Oven, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian Wedding Soup, Wedding Soup, Noodle Soup