I’m so excited you’ve stumbled upon this legendary meat lasagna recipe. You’re in for a spectacular treat! When it comes to making the best homemade recipes, there are no shortcuts to achieving outstanding flavors and textures. I know my grandmother would’ve agreed – the only kind of lasagna recipe worth making is that which takes up a good portion of the afternoon. Believe me, it’s worth every savory mouthwatering bite!
About Legendary Homemade Meat Lasagna Recipe
The magic begins with a luscious flavorsome meat sauce that simmers on your stovetop for 2-1/2 to 3 hours creating aromas just like those emanating from the kitchens of rustic Italian restaurants. The rich, creamy homemade filling is made with Ricotta, Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese. Ahhh…today I’m sharing my secrets for making the best homemade lasagna your tastebuds have ever experienced. So put on your apron and pull out your favorite large pot and casserole dish. Let’s get started with this legendary meat lasagna recipe!
Ingredients for Lasagna Recipe – Homemade Meat Sauce
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make incredible homemade meat sauce for lasagna: lean ground beef, Italian sausage, olive oil, yellow onion, celery, green bell pepper, cloves of garlic, Italian parsley, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, organic apple cider vinegar or red wine, granulated sugar, sea salt, freshly-ground black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, ground cloves, and bay leaves.
Ingredients for Homemade Lasagna Recipe – Ricotta Cheese Filling
Here is the ingredients list for this lasagna recipe’s Ricotta cheese filling: container of Ricotta cheese, large eggs, fresh Italian parsley, freshly-grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano, grated Mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper. Ooo…and don’t forget a of box lasagna noodles (15-17 sheets of noodles).
How to Make Lasagna
A hearty flavorful meat sauce is the foundation for every lasagna recipe. In a large heavy pan with lid, brown the beef and sausage over medium heat until there is no pink. Drain off the fat. Add the olive oil, onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic to the meat. Saute until the veggies are tender.
Add in the rest of the meat sauce ingredients: parsley, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, ground cloves and two bay leaves. Bring the meat sauce to a light boil. After about 2 minutes, cover the pan with a lid and dial down the heat to low. Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring every now and then.
How to Make Ricotta Cheese Filling
In a large mixing bowl, add the Ricotta cheese, large eggs, fresh parsley, grated Parmesan cheese (or Pecorino Romano), and half of the grated Mozzarella cheese. Blend the mixture until all ingredients are well incorporated. Season the filling with salt and pepper to taste.
How Do You Make Lasagna?
Here’s how to make lasagna: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your lasagna noodles according to the directions given on the packaging. Generously butter a 9X13 lasagna pan or casserole dish. This legendary lasagna recipe has three layers of lasagna noodles, meat sauce and filling. Begin by ladling a bit of meat sauce over the bottom of the pan to create a base. Place a flat row of lasagna noodles over the sauce. Add a layer of meat sauce over the noodles. Spread Ricotta cheese filling over the sauce. Arrange another layer of noodles on top. Continue until all three noodle/sauce/filling layers have been completed.
How Long Do You Cook Lasagna?
Evenly sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheese over the top of the lasagna. Bake your lasagna for 25-30 minutes. Once removed from the oven, allow your lasagna to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy your meat lasagna with a crisp garden salad and a glass of wine or sparkling apple cider.
Best Kitchen Tools for Legendary Meat Lasagna Recipe
I love my two Staub Universal Pans with lids. They’re such a joy to cook in, and are the perfect size for making the meat sauce for this homemade lasagna recipe. My Emile Henry baking dish is green, but isn’t this blue one just gorgeous? The bright and beautiful lemon apron, oven mitt and kitchen towels are what I have packed in my suitcase to bring down to my condo in Mexico. I love the crisp clean freshness of the pattern.
Legendary Meat Lasagna Recipe
Yield 8-10 Servings
The magic begins with a luscious flavorsome meat sauce that simmers on your stovetop for 2-1/2 to 3 hours creating aromas just like those emanating from the kitchens of rustic Italian restaurants. The rich, creamy homemade filling is made with Ricotta, Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese. This is the absolute best homemade meat lasagna recipe!
INGREDIENTS - MEAT SAUCE
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar (or good Italian red wine)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
INGREDIENTS - RICOTTA FILLING + NOODLES
- 1 32-ounce container of Ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 cups freshly-grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano
- 1 pound grated Mozzarella cheese, divided
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 box lasagna noodles (16-17 noodles), cooked according to package directions
DIRECTIONS FOR MEAT SAUCE
- In a heavy pan with lid, cook the ground beef and Italian sausage over medium heat until there is no pink. While browning the meat, use a wooden spatula to break it up into small pieces. Drain off the fat.
- Add the olive oil, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic to the pan with the meat. Cook until the veggies are tender. Add in the Italian parsley, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, apple cider vinegar, sugar, all of the spices and the bay leaves. Stir to mix the ingredients. Once the meat sauce begins to boil lightly, wait about two minutes then cover the pot with a lid and dial down the heat to low. Allow the meat sauce to simmer and reduce for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
DIRECTIONS FOR RICOTTA FILLING
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Ricotta cheese, eggs, Italian parsley leaves, Parmesan cheese, and half of the mozzarella cheese (reserve the second half of the mozzarella cheese for topping the lasagna later). Mix well.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper then mix again.
DIRECTIONS FOR LASAGNA ASSEMBLY
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease the bottom and sides of a 9X13 baking dish with butter.
- As a base foundation for the lasagna, ladle a bit of meat sauce onto the bottom of the lasagna pan and spread it out evenly. Your legendary lasagna will be created with 3 layers of noodles/sauce/filling. Place an even layer of lasagna noodles over the thin base layer of sauce. Spread meat sauce on top of the noodles. Spread Ricotta filling on top of the meat sauce. Continue layering until all ingredients have been used and there are three nice layers. Evenly sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheese over the top of the lasagna.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Once your lasagna is removed from the oven, allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Courses Lunch, Dinner, Potluck, Party
Cuisine Italian, American
LEGENDARY MEAT LASAGNA RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this savory lasagna recipe for later!
ESSENTIAL PASTA RECIPES
If you enjoyed this legendary homemade meat lasagna recipe, you’ll absolutely love these other essential pasta recipes too!
LEGENDARY HOMEMADE MEAT LASAGNA RECIPE > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you wish you could grab a fork and dig into this scrumptious homemade meat lasagna? Would you like to bake up one of your own? I’d love to hear your thoughts about this legendary meat lasagna recipe in the comments below!