Huevos Rancheros are a fiesta on a plate! The beautiful colors and authentic Latin flavors make these huevos a sheer delight. Enjoy this Mexican breakfast on a lazy Saturday morning paired with a cup of coffee, or a sparkling glass of orange juice.
WHAT IS HUEVOS RANCHEROS?
Traditional huevos rancheros is a breakfast dish also referred to as eggs ranchero. This Mexican breakfast starts with a warm, charred or lightly-fried corn tortilla. It’s topped with fried or poached eggs, and spicy tomato sauce or salsa fresca. A tasty spin on this classic recipe: eggs in purgatory, or huevos ahogados!
ABOUT HUEVOS RANCHEROS RECIPE
The basic huevos rancheros recipe has evolved. Variations include, but are not limited to, the following: a base layer of lettuce or spinach, refried beans or black beans, enchilada sauce or hot sauce, Mexican chilies or salsa, melted or crumbled cheese, sliced avocado or guacamole, and sour cream or Crema Mexicana.
HUEVOS RANCHEROS INGREDIENTS
When preparing eggs ranchero, listen to your taste buds. Below are the huevos rancheros ingredients that sparked my imagination this morning:
- Corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Refried beans
- Hot sauce (or enchilada sauce)
- Fire-roasted green chilies
- Farm-fresh eggs
- Homemade pico de gallo
- Cotija cheese
- Avocado slices
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Sprinkling of red pepper flakes
- Slices of lime
SALSA FRESCA FOR EGGS RANCHERO
These are the ingredients for homemade pico de gallo:
- Roma tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- Red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE PICO DE GALLO
Salsa fresca brings the festive flavor of eggs ranchero to the next level!
- STEP 1: Cut tomatoes into small pieces. Chop red onion and cilantro leaves (no stems). Transfer ingredients to a small bowl.
- STEP 2: Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice over the mixture.
- STEP 3: With a spoon, briefly mix ingredients together.
HOW TO MAKE HUEVOS RANCHEROS
Here’s how to make huevos rancheros, step by step.
- STEP 1: In a small frying pan over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil shimmers, fry corn tortillas until they reach desired crispness. Transfer tortillas to individual plates.
- STEP 2: Evenly spread refried beans over the surface of each tortilla.
- STEP 3: Drizzle hot sauce over the beans. Add a spoonful of diced green chilies.
- STEP 4: Fry huevos sunny-side up. Transfer an egg to each prepared tortilla. Spoon pico de gallo over the egg whites. Garnish huevos rancheros with avocado slices and a light sprinkling of Mexican cheese.
KITCHEN TOOLS FOR HUEVOS RANCHEROS
These helpful kitchen tools are perfect for making this easy huevos rancheros recipe!
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Did you enjoy this festive Mexican breakfast? Rate this recipe in the comments below!Print
This easy huevos rancheros recipe will have your taste buds dancing with delight. Featuring vibrant Mexican colors and flavors, eggs ranchero are literally a fiesta on a plate! Enjoy this healthy breakfast recipe any day of the week.
- 4–8 corn tortillas (1 single or 2 stacked tortillas per serving)
- 2–4 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 –1/3 cups vegetarian refried beans (canned)
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce (or enchilada sauce)
- 2 tablespoons fire-roasted diced green chilies (canned)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup pico de gallo, store bought or homemade
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese (or cotija cheese)
- 1 large Haas avocado
- Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: Crushed red pepper flakes
- Garnishes: Lime slices, red onion, sprigs of cilantro
- *In a small frying pan over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil shimmers, fry corn tortillas until they reach desired crispness. Transfer tortillas to individual plates.
- Evenly spread refried beans over the surface of each tortilla.
- Drizzle hot sauce over the beans. Add a spoonful of diced green chilies.
- Fry huevos sunny-side up. Transfer an egg to each prepared tortilla.
- Spoon pico de gallo over the egg whites.
- Garnish huevos rancheros with avocado slices and a light sprinkling of Mexican cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
*EXPERT TIP: Rather than frying the tortillas, you can simply warm them on a Mexican comal or a pancake griddle.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Huevos Rancheros, Huevos Rancheros Recipe, Eggs Ranchero
EASY HUEVOS RANCHEROS RECIPE > PIN IT NOW!
Save this eggs ranchero recipe for later. PIN IT TO PINTEREST!
EASY BREAKFAST RECIPES
If you enjoyed this huevos rancheros recipe, you’ll love these easy breakfast recipes!
- EGGS IN PURGATORY
- BREAKFAST PIZZA
- FLUFFY PANCAKES
- MANGO TANGO SMOOTHIE BOWL
- TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- BAKED OATMEAL
EGGS RANCHERO > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Have you ever tried eggs ranchero? What do you think of this easy huevos rancheros recipe? Join the conversation in the comments below!