This heavenly lemon cake recipe is super scrumptious. It’s literally bursting with sunshine! Starbucks lemon loaf, move on over. Meet your delicious homemade rival! This fabulous lemon pound cake is iced to perfection then garnished with slices of fresh lemon. I seriously wish you could just pick up a fork, reach right through your screen and snag a bite! But for now, we’ll have to go with the next best thing. By sharing this easy lemon cake recipe you can now make one of your own at home in no time flat. So let’s get started!
Ingredients for Lemon Cake Recipe
What ingredients are needed to make a lemon cake? These are the ingredients you’ll need to make a lemon cake from scratch: all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, large eggs, pure vanilla extract, whole milk, sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Lemon Bread Recipe
Preparations for your lemon bread recipe: adjust your oven rack to the center position. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your loaf pan by spraying it with cooking spray. Add a bit of flour to the pan. Shake the pan to disburse the flour evenly, then shake out all excess flour.
Starbucks Lemon Loaf Copycat Recipe
To make a copycat Starbucks Lemon Loaf, begin by adding the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda to a small mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon, whisk or spatula, mix these ingredients together then set the bowl aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and granulated sugar. Cream them together using the paddle attachment. Add in eggs and mix well. Add in the flour mixture and blend until just combined.
Easy Lemon Cake Recipe
Add the pure vanilla extract to the mixing bowl along with the whole milk, zest from two lemons, and the lemon juice. Mix until just combined. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the sour cream and mix briefly.
How to Make a Lemon Loaf
Bake your homemade Starbucks lemon loaf for 35 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 325 degrees. Continue baking your lemon bread for another 15-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Homemade Starbucks Lemon Loaf
Allow your Starbucks lemon loaf to cool down completely while still in the pan. At this point, take a moment to relish the fabulous bakery smell that’s whirling around your kitchen. Give a few words of encouragement to your lemon loaf to hurry up and cool down quickly! You want to frost your pound cake and get it ready to serve.
Lemon Glaze for Pound Cake
How do you glaze a pound cake? It’s super simple with this quick easy recipe for delicious icing! In a mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) and a bit of whole milk. Once it reaches the desired consistency, drizzle your yummy lemon glaze for pound cake right over the top of your Starbucks lemon loaf. If desired, garnish the top with freshly-sliced lemon. When you’re ready to serve this deliciousness, slice the loaf into 10 thick pieces. Enjoy your iced lemon pound cake with a cup of coffee, hot tea, or an ice-cold glass of milk!
Best Kitchen Tools for Lemon Cake Recipe
These are some of the best kitchen tools for making this lemon cake recipe. Especially the gorgeous yellow mixing bowl that fits right onto your 5-quart-capacity KitchenAid stand mixer. Now seriously, how cool is that?
Lemon Cake Recipe (Starbucks Lemon Loaf Copycat)
Yield 1 Lemon Loaf
This beautiful lemon cake recipe is incredibly delicious. It's literally bursting with sunshine! When it comes out of the oven your kitchen will smell just like a bakery! Iced to perfection, this pound cake is garnished with lovely slices of freshly-picked lemons. It's everything you dream of when craving a thick yummy slice of Starbucks lemon loaf.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
GLAZE FOR POUND CAKE
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
LEMON CAKE RECIPE
- Adjust oven rack to the center position. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your loaf pan by spraying it with cooking spray, dusting it with flour, and then shaking out the excess flour.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set it aside.
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes on medium-high.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing on low for 10 seconds in between each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in two parts and mix until just combined. Add in the vanilla extract, whole milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix on low speed until just combined. Take a moment to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the sour cream and mix briefly until just combined.
- Pour the lemon cake batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake the lemon cake for 35 min, then reduce the heat to 325 degrees. Continue baking for another 15-25 min or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the lemon loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the lemon loaf to remain inside the pan to cool off completely. After it's cooled you can either remove it from the pan or first drizzle the top with a super yummy glaze for pound cake!
GLAZE FOR POUND CAKE
- Add the powdered sugar and whole milk to a small bowl. Whisk these ingredients together until the icing reaches the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the icing over your cooled lemon loaf. If desired, garnish your lemon cake with lemon slices. When you're ready to serve and enjoy your lemon cake, cut the loaf into 10 thick slices.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR LEMON CAKE RECIPE
- Using room temperature butter helps the mixing process and makes the final product more light and fluffy. Isn't that what we all desire? Cold ingredients don’t mix together as easily and will make the mixing process a whole lot harder.
- Icing consistency: When preparing the icing for your lemon cake recipe how thick should it be? It should pass the "spoon test." You want it to have the ability to nicely coat the back of a spoon. You don't want the glaze to be too thin (i.e., drip off the spoon too fast and have a runny consistency), but you also don't want the glaze to be too thick that it can't easily drizzle from the spoon. Adjusting your icing is as easy as adding in a bit more powdered sugar to make it thicker, or thinning it out with a bit more milk.
Courses Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Dessert, Party
LEMON CAKE RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this scrumptious LEMON CAKE RECIPE right now! Pin it to Pinterest.
DELICIOUS CAKE RECIPES YOU’LL WANT TO MAKE ASAP!
STARBUCKS LEMON LOAF > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you love the taste and consistency of the original Starbucks Lemon Loaf? What do you think about this copycat recipe? Are you excited about making eating this scrumptious lemon cake recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!