When it comes to comfort food, nothing beats the homemade goodness of Southern Whipping Cream Biscuits. They’re sweet and savory, and evoke feelings of simpler times. Like when a neighbor would come by to borrow a stick of butter, a few eggs or a cup of sugar. For me it’s childhood memories of my grandmother in her kitchen wearing an apron and scooping out flour from a giant bin in her walk-in pantry.
Cream biscuits are the most delightful when served straight out of the oven with a pat of butter and a long drizzle of honey. For an even sweeter taste, lightly sprinkle white coarse sugar crystals over the top of the biscuits before baking. Because this type of sugar is often hard to find in local markets, I order my large sugar crystals on Amazon. This adds a bit of beautiful sparkle to the tops and provides that special bakery-style look.
My Grandma Mercie rarely used recipes when whipping up staples reminiscent of country life growing up on a sugar beet farm. So our family only has a few of her handwritten recipes. This classic Southern Whipping Cream Biscuits recipe was gifted to me by my friend Steven Kahn. His mother Betty was passionate about the culinary arts. While attending cooking school she painstakingly hand-typed a binder full of recipes, including this traditional southern recipe for delicious whipping cream biscuits.
Time flies, and now three generations of the Kahn family have enjoyed this whipping cream biscuit recipe. There’s a precious type of magic that’s stirred up when cooking family recipes. As an important part of family history they have the power to connect us to earlier generations, much like stories shared within families from years gone by. For Betty’s grandson Mike, these biscuits evoke wonderful memories of time spent with his grandmother. For me this recipe reminds me of my own grandmother’s buttery homemade biscuits.
This southern recipe produces thick, rich, flaky biscuits. If you’ve ever tasted the cream biscuits made in-house at a Whole Foods Market – these taste just like those. So scrumptious! Much like a scone they can be enjoyed at breakfast, brunch or teatime. Although terrific plain, they’re even more tasty with butter, honey or jam. Cream biscuits are also perfect for making strawberry shortcakes: slice in half, layer strawberries in the middle and on top, then use the remainder of the whipping cream from this recipe to make fresh whipped cream!Print
Try this classic southern recipe for your next Sunday dinner.
- 3 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces and briefly frozen (about 15–20 minutes)
- 2 cups + 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Adjust oven rack to the center. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Add butter. Briskly blend with fingertips, dough whisk or fork until lightly incorporated.
- Add whipping cream and combine all ingredients until just moistened.
- Immediately transfer dough onto a lightly-floured pastry board. Knead 10 times. It’s perfectly okay if small lumps of butter are visible.
- Roll out dough to a thickness of 3/4 inches.
- Use a round biscuit cutter, 2-inches in diameter, or a square cutter. Cut cream biscuits close together to minimize re-rolling of the dough. (Re-rolling makes the dough tougher and the biscuits heavier.)
- Place whipping cream biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. (Start keeping an eye on the biscuits after 10-11 minutes. The biscuits should be light on top and not too golden brown.)
- Serve the whipping cream biscuits warm or cooled.
For a smaller batch of Southern Whipping Cream Biscuits (approximately 7-8 biscuits):
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon white granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces and briefly frozen (about 15 – 20 minutes)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Teatime, Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whipping cream biscuits, southern biscuits, homemade biscuits
Here’s a better close-up of this beautiful, savory, mouth-watering treat!
How to Make Whipping Cream Biscuits >> Best Kitchen Tools
- Mixing Bowl
- Danish dough whisk
- Cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Pastry board
- Rolling pin
- Biscuit cutter
- Cookie sheet
?Pin for Later
Save this recipe! You’ll want to remember how to make Southern Whipping Cream Biscuits.
More Biscuit Recipes You Need
BAKING POWDER BISCUITS are easy to make and wonderfully delicious. This popular biscuit recipe produces traditional biscuits just like Grandma used to make!
RED LOBSTER BISCUITS taste just like the brand name favorite!
GET MORE RECIPE INSPIRATION HERE >> FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST
WHIPPING CREAM BISCUITS > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Have you ever tried the whipping cream biscuits from the bakery at Whole Foods Market? Well these scrumptious biscuits are even more delicious than those! I’d love to hear about your favorite typeof biscuits in the comments below. I invite you to join the conversation!