This colorful coleslaw is crisp, cool and packed with flavor! What makes this traditional salad extra special is the tasty coleslaw dressing. It’s perfect for picnics, potlucks, and summer parties. Make this easy recipe in 20 minutes.
Making a healthy salad for your family has never been easier. These are the simple ingredients for making the best homemade coleslaw!
INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD
- Green cabbage, thinly sliced
- Red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Carrots, julienned or grated
INGREDIENTS FOR COLESLAW DRESSING
- Sour cream
- Apple cider vinegar
- Fresh dill
- Lemon juice
- Organic honey or granulated sugar
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
BEST COLESLAW RECIPE
Homemade coleslaw is super easy to assemble when you follow these step-by-step instructions:
- STEP 1: Shred the carrots and cabbage with a knife or food processor. Mince the dill.
- STEP 2: Add shredded produce to a serving bowl. Mix to combine.
- STEP 3: In a small mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the coleslaw dressing. Whisk well.
- STEP 4: Pour the salad dressing over the cabbage mix. Use salad tongs to toss the coleslaw and fully distribute the dressing.
EXPERT TIPS FOR COLESLAW RECIPE
- HOW MUCH COLESLAW TO MAKE PER PERSON? When feeding a crowd, expect each guest to serve and eat 1/2 cup of salad. At potlucks and picnics where there are several dishes to choose from not everyone will serve all items. When coleslaw is the main side dish at a family dinner you’ll need one cup of salad per person.
- CAN COLESLAW BE MADE IN ADVANCE? Yes! It can be made in advance. Shred the produce. Store each in separate containers. This will keep everything fresh. It will also prevent the color of the purple cabbage from bleeding onto the other produce. Assemble the homemade dressing, store it in a small jar, and refrigerate. Mix everything together just before serving.
- HOW LONG DOES COLESLAW LAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR? Placed in an air-tight container, coleslaw will last about 3 days in the refrigerator. Before serving, drain off any excess liquid.
- BEST TYPES OF CABBAGE FOR MAKING COLESLAW: For a traditional recipe, use a head of green cabbage as the base. The addition of red cabbage will give this delightful salad beautiful color and texture. If you can’t find hard, round green cabbage at the market, substitute it with a lovely head of Napa cabbage or savoy.
- TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EASY RECIPE IN 10 MINUTES FLAT: At the market look for packets of pre-shredded carrots and cabbage, or a simple slaw mix in the produce section. At home, empty the packets directly into your serving bowl. Prepare the coleslaw dressing and mix everything together. Your salad is ready to serve and enjoy!
SALAD RECIPES TO MAKE ASAP
Still hungry? Try these flavorful salad recipes. There’s something here for everyone!
- CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- CUCUMBER SALAD
- TROPICAL FRUIT SALAD
- MACARONI SALAD
- LOADED BAKED POTATO SALAD
- BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON
- COLD SPAGHETTI SALAD
RECOMMENDED KITCHEN TOOLS
These are the helpful kitchen tools I used to make this recipe. Using a food processor gets the cabbage and carrots prepped and done in no time flat!
RATE THIS RECIPE! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Did you enjoy this flavorful recipe? Are you excited to make it? Rate this recipe in the comments below!Print
This refreshing coleslaw has a beautiful flavor profile. It features a bright, tangy coleslaw dressing that elevates the traditional recipe! Make this summer salad in 20 minutes or less.
INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
INGREDIENTS FOR COLESLAW DRESSING
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Shred the cabbage and carrots with a food processor or a knife. Mince the dill.
- Add the shredded produce to a salad bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add all the ingredients for the coleslaw dressing to a small mixing bowl. Whisk well.
- Pour the salad dressing over the coleslaw. Use salad tongs to mix in the dressing.
- Your beautiful salad is ready to be served!
- HOW MUCH COLESLAW TO MAKE PER PERSON? When serving a crowd, expect each guest to serve about 1/2 cup of salad. When coleslaw is the main side dish at a family dinner, expect each person to serve one cup of salad.
- HOW LONG DOES COLESLAW LAST IN THE REFRIGERATOR? Fully assembled and stored in an air-tight container, coleslaw will last about 3 days in the fridge. Before serving, drain off excess liquid.
- CAN COLESLAW BE MADE IN ADVANCE? Yes! Shred the produce. Store each type in an individual zip-top bag. This will keep the cabbage and carrots fresh. It will also prevent the purple cabbage from bleeding onto the other produce. Prep the dressing, store it in a small jar, and refrigerate. Assemble the salad just before serving.
- BEST TYPES OF CABBAGE FOR MAKING COLESLAW: For a traditional recipe, start with a head of green cabbage as the base. The addition of red cabbage will give this delightful salad some beautiful color and texture. You can also use a lovely head of Napa cabbage or savoy.
- TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EASY RECIPE IN 10 MINUTES FLAT: At the market look for packets of pre-shredded carrots and cabbage, or a pack of shredded cabbage mix. Simply empty the packets into your serving bowl, prepare the coleslaw dressing, and mix everything together.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing Bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Coleslaw, Coleslaw Dressing
COLESLAW > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
When was the last time you enjoyed homemade coleslaw? What entrees would you like to serve it with? In the comments below, share your thoughts on this flavorful salad recipe and its delicious coleslaw dressing!