This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
This southern coleslaw is crisp, cool and packed with flavor. Our fresh coleslaw dressing is sweet, creamy and tangy. Serve this easy cold salad as a tasty side for meals, potlucks and picnics. It’s a southern deli classic.
🛒 SOUTHERN COLESLAW INGREDIENTS
For the Salad
- Green Cabbage: Look for a round, hard head with fresh-looking leaves.
- Red Cabbage: Adds beautiful color and texture.
- Carrots: Feel free to use regular (long) carrots or baby carrots.
For the Coleslaw Dressing
- Mayonnaise: Is the creamy base for the coleslaw dressing.
- Sour Cream: Adds a rich creamy texture and delicious tang.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Makes this southern salad extra tangy.
- Fresh Dill: Adds a fresh grassy flavor and minty aroma.
- Lemon Juice: Brightens the flavor of the salad.
- Honey or Granulated Sugar: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Dijon mustard: Adds a sweet spicy flavor. I prefer the type of dijon made with white wine.
- Sea Salt: Enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Black pepper: Adds a rustic flavor and aroma with a hint of heat.
📖 RECIPE STEPS
- STEP 1: Shred the cabbage with a sharp knife or a food processor. Shred the carrots. Mince the dill.
- STEP 2: Add the shredded produce to a serving bowl. Mix to combine.
- STEP 3: In a small mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the coleslaw dressing. Whisk well.
- STEP 4: Pour the salad dressing over the cabbage mix. Use tongs to toss the coleslaw and fully distribute the dressing.
👩🏻🍳 RECIPE FAQ
These are the most commonly-asked questions when making southern coleslaw, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
For traditional deli coleslaw, use green cabbage as the base. Add in red cabbage for color and texture. If you can’t find a hard, round head of green cabbage at the market, substitute with Napa cabbage or savoy.
Placed in an air-tight container, coleslaw will last about 3 days in the refrigerator. Before serving, drain off any excess liquid.
When feeding a crowd, expect each guest to serve and eat 1/2 cup of salad. At potlucks where there are several dishes to choose from, not everyone will serve all items. When coleslaw is the main side dish at a family dinner you’ll need 1 cup salad per person.
At the market look for packets of pre-shredded carrots and cabbage in the produce section. Or buy a simple coleslaw mix. At home, empty the packets into a large serving bowl. Prep the coleslaw dressing, and mix everything together. Your coleslaw is ready to serve.
Yes. It can be made in advance. Shred the produce. Store each type in a separate airtight container in the fridge. This will keep everything fresh. It’ll also prevent the color of the purple cabbage from bleeding onto the other produce. Assemble the homemade dressing, store it in a small jar, and refrigerate. Mix everything together just before serving.
🍽 WHAT TO PAIR WITH southern COLESLAW
There are so many delicious recipes to pair with tri-colored southern coleslaw. Add these tasty mains to your meal-plan rotation.
- BBQ Meatloaf
- Cheeseburger Sliders
- Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Baby Back Ribs
- BBQ pulled pork sliders
- Baked Chicken Meatballs
- Sonoran Hot Dogs
🥗 MORE REFRESHING SUMMER SALADS
For social gatherings, we’ve gathered together the best summer salad ideas in this recipe round-up 👉🏻 classic potluck salads.
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Watermelon Arugula Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
RATE THIS RECIPE! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers rated this the best southern coleslaw recipe. They said our fresh creamy dressing with it’s sweet tangy flavor made all the difference. It brightened the produce and provided the perfect southern taste.
If you agree this recipe’s a keeper, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Share it with friends. 📌 Pin it to Pinterest.Print
This southern coleslaw has beautiful colors, flavors and textures. It features a bright, sweet/tangy dressing that’s creamy and delicious. Make this easy cold salad in 20 minutes.
For the Salad
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
For the Coleslaw Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Shred the cabbage and carrots with a food processor or a knife. Mince the dill.
- Add the shredded produce to a salad bowl. Mix to combine.
- Prep the dressing: add all ingredients for the dressing to a small mixing bowl. Whisk well.
- Pour the salad dressing over the coleslaw. Toss well.
How long does coleslaw last in the fridge? Fully assembled and stored in an air-tight container, coleslaw will last about 3 days in the fridge. Before serving, drain off excess liquid.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Coleslaw, Coleslaw Dressing
SOUTHERN COLESLAW 👉🏻 JOIN THE CONVERSATION
When was the last time you enjoyed homemade southern coleslaw? What main dishes will you serve it with. Join the conversation below.