This beautiful Chinese chicken salad is delightful, refreshing and so delicious! Packed with healthy ingredients, plenty of color, fabulous texture and a flavorful dressing, this Asian salad recipe is one of my husband’s ultimate favorites. What you’ll love most about this Chinese chicken salad is that it’s perfect for weekly meal prepping! You can make your very own salad kit that’s ready to go when you need it, just add lettuce along with previously prepared ingredients and toss. When it comes to time-saving recipes, this one moves up to the very top!
Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this yummy Chinese chicken salad recipe: shredded rotisserie chicken breast, romaine lettuce, iceburg lettuce, red cabbage, julienned carrots, green onions, cilantro leaves, sesame seeds, sliced or slivered almonds, cashews, crispy wonton strips, and this incredible homemade Asian salad dressing. Note: Zip-top packets of crunchy wontons can usually be found in the produce section of your grocery store next to other “salad toppings” like tortilla strips, croutons, crispy onions, etc.
How to Make Chinese Chicken Salad
Here’s how to make this scrumptious recipe from scratch: Begin by preparing the Chinese chicken salad dressing with this essential homemade recipe. Transfer the salad dressing to a carafe. While the flavors of the dressing meld together, shred the rotisserie chicken breast.
Directions for Asian Chicken Salad
After shredding the rotisserie chicken, add it to a large mixing bowl. If your Chinese chicken salad will be enjoyed right after you make it, pour half the dressing over the cooked shredded chicken and toss. (If you’re meal prepping in advance, skip this step. On the day you want to enjoy this salad, marinate the cooked chicken then.) While the marinade soaks into the chicken and flavors it, continue preparing the rest of this recipe.
Delicious Chinese Chicken Salad
Directly on top of the seasoned chicken, add the two types of lettuce, the shredded red cabbage and carrots, the sliced green onions, and the chopped cilantro. To make meal prepping even easier, look for pre-packaged shredded carrots and shredded red cabbage at the grocery store. With salad tongs, toss all of the salad ingredients together.
Best Asian Salad Recipe
Generously sprinkle the top of your salad with sesame seeds. If you’d like to add a tiny bit of zing as well as more color to the mix, go ahead and sprinkle some crushed chili flakes on top too!
Colorful Chicken Salad
Garnish your Chinese chicken salad with sliced or slivered almonds, and some cashew halves. Add the final touch: a sprinkling of crispy wonton strips or chow mein noodles.
To keep the lettuce nice and crisp, don’t add the remaining half of the dressing to the salad until serving time. When I make this recipe I’ll place the container of dressing right next to the salad bowl and let my family and friends drizzle it on, as desired.
Mmmm….this Chinese chicken salad really is as delicious as it looks! It’s perfect for lunch, dinner, potlucks, family gatherings and work parties. It’s also versatile – use it as a side dish or as a main dish. I like to serve mine with slices of artisan bread with butter!
Best Kitchen Tools for Making Chinese Chicken Salad
I love serving Asian salads in my large black serving bowl. It beautifully off-sets the colors of this gorgeous salad! When it comes to chopping, slicing and dicing, a good set of sharp knives is a must-have in any kitchen.
Delicious, healthy Chinese chicken salad is a breeze to make! It’s a wonderful recipe that can be prepped in advance (think DIY salad kit) and then put together just before serving time. The flavorful, homemade Asian dressing takes this recipe to the next level!
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
- 1 rounded cup of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of carrots (about 2 carrots), julienned or shredded
- 1/2 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Asian salad dressing, using this homemade recipe
- Garnishes: sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes (optional), sliced or slivered almonds, cashew halves, crispy wonton strips
- Start by preparing the homemade Asian salad dressing so the flavors have a chance to meld together nicely.
- After shredding the chicken breast, add it to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle half of the salad dressing directly on top of the chicken. With kitchen tongs, mix these ingredients together. Let the chicken sit and soak in all of that goodness while you finish prepping the remainder of the recipe.
- Add the shredded romaine lettuce, iceburg lettuce, carrots and red cabbage to the mixing bowl. Add in the sliced green onions and chopped cilantro leaves. With tongs, toss the ingredients until well combined.
- Generously garnish your Chinese chicken salad with sesame seeds, dried chili flakes, almonds, cashew halves and wonton strips. To keep your salad nice and crisp, do not add the remainder of the Asian dressing until serving time.
- Place the salad dressing carafe with the remainder of the Asian dressing beside the serving bowl. As they serve themselves, family and guests can drizzle the dressing on top. Enjoy!
Keywords: lunch, Chinese chicken salad, light recipe
ASIAN SALAD > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this fabulous Chinese chicken salad recipe for later. Pin it to Pinterest right now!
ESSENTIAL SALAD RECIPES
If you loved this Chinese chicken salad, then you’re going to love this scrumptious GRILLED POTATO SALAD RECIPE! Made with an easy creamy dressing, it can be served it two ways: a lightened-up version featuring lightly drizzled dressing, or full-on “classic style” with the heavenly mustard dressing folded all the way in. Both ways are absolutely fantastic!
This BROCCOLI AND BACON SALAD is healthy, delicious and super satisfying! It’s perfect as a main dish or side dish. Get dinner on the table fast, with this quick easy recipe.
Transition from summer to fall with this COLD SPAGHETTI SALAD recipe! Cool and refreshing, it’s also filling and very easy to make. You and your family will be digging in for second helpings.
CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy making DIY salad kits that are perfect for meal planning and meal prepping? What are your top two most-favored summer salad recipes? What do you think about this yummy Chinese chicken salad? I’d love to hear your thoughts! Join the conversation in the comments below.