Chinese chicken salad is healthy, refreshing and so delicious! This recipe is perfect for your weekly meal plan rotation! Make a DIY salad kit that’s ready to go when you need it. Just add lettuce along with previously-prepped ingredients and toss. When it comes to time-saving recipes, this easy chicken salad is a real winner!
CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE INGREDIENTS
These are the ingredients for making this yummy Chinese chicken salad recipe:
- Rotisserie chicken breast
- Romaine lettuce
- Iceburg lettuce
- Red cabbage
- Julienned carrots
- Green onions
- Cilantro leaves
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced or slivered almonds
- Crispy wonton strips
- Homemade Asian salad dressing
EXPERT TIPS FOR CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- WHERE TO FIND CRUNCHY TOPPINGS AT THE MARKET: Look for Zip-top packets of crunchy wontons in the produce section of your grocery store next to other “salad toppings” like tortilla strips, croutons, crispy onions, etc.
- HOW TO MAKE MEAL PREP EASY: Buy prepared items at the market to include a store-bought rotisserie chicken, ready-to-serve Romaine lettuce, and packets of pre-shredded shredded carrots and pre-shredded red cabbage.
- HOW TO KEEP SALAD NICE AND CRISP: To keep the lettuce nice and crisp, don’t add the remaining half of the dressing to the salad until serving time. When I make this recipe I’ll place the container of dressing right next to the salad bowl and let my family and friends drizzle it on, as desired.
- DIY SALAD KIT: This is the perfect make-ahead salad kit for parties, potlucks, and family gatherings. Simply prep the items individually in zip-top bags, and then toss everything together just before serving.
HOW TO MAKE CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
Here’s how to make this scrumptious salad recipe:
- STEP 1: Begin by preparing the Chinese chicken salad dressing with this essential homemade recipe.
- STEP 2: Transfer the Asian salad dressing to a carafe. Allow it sit for at least 10 minutes so the flavors can meld together.
- STEP 3: Shred the rotisserie chicken breast.
ASIAN CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE
How to make Chinese chicken salad step by step:
- STEP 4: After shredding the rotisserie chicken, add it to a large mixing bowl.
- STEP 5: Pour half the Asian dressing over the cooked shredded chicken and toss. While the salad dressing soaks into the chicken and flavors it, continue preparing the rest of this recipe.
BEST CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- STEP 6: Add the two types of lettuce, shredded red cabbage, carrots, sliced green onions, and the chopped cilantro directly on top of the seasoned chicken. With salad tongs, toss all of the salad ingredients together.
BEST ASIAN SALAD RECIPE
- STEP 7: Generously sprinkle the top of your salad with sesame seeds. For additional color and a little zing, add some crushed chili flakes too!
COLORFUL CHICKEN SALAD
- STEP 8: Garnish Chinese chicken salad with sliced or slivered almonds, and some cashew halves. Sprinkle crispy wonton strips or chow mein noodles on top.
HOW TO SERVE CHICKEN SALAD
This Chinese chicken salad is just as delicious as it looks! It’s perfect for lunch, dinner, potlucks, family gatherings and work parties. It’s also versatile. Serve it chicken salad as a side dish or as a main dish. For an entree, I serve mine with slices of artisan bread with pats of butter!
KITCHEN TOOLS FOR CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
I love serving Asian salads in my large black serving bowl. It beautifully off-sets the colors of this gorgeous salad! When it comes to chopping, slicing and dicing, a good set of sharp knives is a must-have in any kitchen.
Delicious, healthy Chinese chicken salad is a breeze to make! It’s a wonderful recipe that can be prepped in advance (think DIY salad kit) and then put together just before serving time. The flavorful, homemade Asian dressing takes this recipe to the next level!
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
- 1 rounded cup of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of carrots (about 2 carrots), julienned or shredded
- 1/2 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Asian salad dressing, using this homemade recipe
- Garnishes: sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes (optional), sliced or slivered almonds, cashew halves, crispy wonton strips
- Start by preparing the homemade Asian salad dressing so the flavors have a chance to meld together nicely.
- After shredding the chicken breast, add it to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle half of the salad dressing directly on top of the chicken. With kitchen tongs, mix these ingredients together. Let the chicken sit and soak in all of that goodness while you finish prepping the remainder of the recipe.
- Add the shredded romaine lettuce, iceburg lettuce, carrots and red cabbage to the mixing bowl. Add in the sliced green onions and chopped cilantro leaves. With tongs, toss the ingredients until well combined.
- Generously garnish your Chinese chicken salad with sesame seeds, dried chili flakes, almonds, cashew halves and wonton strips. To keep your salad nice and crisp, do not add the remainder of the Asian dressing until serving time.
- Place the salad dressing carafe with the remainder of the Asian dressing beside the serving bowl. As they serve themselves, family and guests can drizzle the dressing on top. Enjoy!
Keywords: Chinese chicken salad, cold chicken salad, Asian salad dressing
ASIAN SALAD > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this fabulous Chinese chicken salad recipe for later. Pin it to Pinterest right now!
ESSENTIAL SALAD RECIPES
If you loved this Chinese chicken salad, then you’re going to love this scrumptious GRILLED POTATO SALAD RECIPE! Made with an easy creamy dressing, it can be served it two ways: a lightened-up version featuring lightly drizzled dressing, or full-on “classic style” with the heavenly mustard dressing folded all the way in. Both ways are absolutely fantastic!
BROCCOLI AND BACON SALAD is healthy, delicious and super satisfying! It’s perfect as a main dish or side dish. Get dinner on the table fast, with this quick easy recipe.
Transition from summer to fall with this COLD SPAGHETTI SALAD recipe! Cool and refreshing, it’s also filling and very easy to make. You and your family will be digging in for second helpings.
CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy making DIY salad kits that are perfect for meal planning and meal prepping? What are your top two most-favored summer salad recipes? What do you think about this yummy Chinese chicken salad? I’d love to hear your thoughts! Join the conversation in the comments below.