These crispy baked BBQ chicken wings are finger-licking good! Just like our air fryer chicken wings, these rich saucy wings are irresistible. Achieve that backyard barbecue taste straight from the oven. This is a super easy recipe!
Slathered in a sweet and savory BBQ sauce, we elevate the taste by adding some soy sauce for an extra boost of umami flavor. We add a touch of sriracha (optional) for a bit of mild heat throughout every bite.
By oven baking the chicken wings until crisp, we’re skipping the oil used for frying, as well as the greasy mess that comes along with that. And without the oil, there are less calories too.
With this simple recipe in hand, you can put down the phone. You won’t need to call in that Buffalo Wild Wings order before the big game. Just head to your kitchen. Make this easy baked BBQ chicken wings recipe at home.
Serve baked BBQ chicken wings with fresh buttermilk ranch dressing for thick savory dipping. Traditional sides include carrots and celery, crispy French fries or potato wedges, coleslaw, and baked mac and cheese.
This restaurant and sports bar favorite is ideal for lunch, dinner, or Game Day snacking. Pull out a large stack of napkins, soda pop or beer.
- Chicken wing portions: For crispier chicken, use wing portions rather than whole wings. Portions are also easier to eat.
- All-purpose flour: Coating the wings in flour helps them crisp up beautifully in the oven.
- Cornstarch: This ingredient helps dry out the surface of the chicken wings so the skin can brown well and become extra crisp.
- Sea salt: This common seasoning brings out the flavor in the wings.
- Honey BBQ sauce: Use your favorite brand and type. For this recipe I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey BBQ wing sauce.
- Soy sauce: This ingredient dials up the umami flavor of the BBQ sauce. You can use regular or low-sodium soy sauce.
- Butter: Adds some additional richness to the thick tangy sauce.
- Sriracha (optional): Adds a bit of well-bodied heat for a hot yummy taste. Add more or less, as desired, or skip it completely.
- OPTIONAL GARNISH – Sliced green onions: To add color, freshness, a mild peppery flavor, and a bit of texture.
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Place a wire rack over the tray so the wings can get extra crispy. No metal rack? That’s okay just use the baking sheet.
- STEP 1: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt. Pat chicken wings dry between paper towels, then place them in the bowl. Toss chicken wings in the dry mixture until all surface areas are well coated.
- STEP 2: Shake off excess flour from the wings. Arrange them in a single layer on the prepared tray with wire rack. Bake 20 minutes, then flip them over. Bake an additional 20 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and the skin is golden and crisp.
- STEP 3: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the BBQ sauce, soy sauce, melted butter and sriracha. Add the baked wings to the bowl. Toss well until the wings are fully coated.
- STEP 4: Return the wings to the metal rack. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the sauce is caramelized and the wings are crisp. To prevent burning, keep a close eye on the wings while they’re under the broiler.
BEST DIPPING SAUCES FOR CHICKEN WINGS
When serving BBQ chicken wings at parties, I’ll usually offer 2 to 3 different types of dipping sauces so there’s something for everyone. Below are the sauces you’d see and enjoy if you attended an appetizer party at my house!
These are the most commonly-asked questions when making oven baked bbq chicken wings, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
A chicken wing contains 3 parts: the drumette, wingette (chicken flat), and wing tip. Most chicken wings recipes use drumettes and wingettes rather than whole wings. On packaging they’re often called “first & second sections chicken wings.” Portions are easier to cook than whole wings as more of the surface area can get brown and crispy.
With a sharp knife cut wings into 3 sections: drumettes, flats and wing tips. Discard the wing tips. Make slices at the joints (the points of least resistance), not through the bones.
There are approximately 10 chicken portions per pound. Keep in mind: during cooking wings can lose about 25% of their initial weight. As a meal, serve 1 pound wings per person with sides. As an appetizer, serve 1 pound chicken wings for every 2 people along with other snacks.
Washing poultry before cooking is not recommended by the USDA. The splashes of water when rinsing chicken can spread bacteria, causing cross-contamination on surfaces, appliances, and other food. To learn more on this topic, read this informative article from the USDA.
During the last few minutes of cooking, turn your oven to a high broil to really crisp up the skin. Keep a close eye on the process to prevent scorching or drying out the wings. While we want the skin crisp, we want the meat to remain juicy.
My preference is Sweet Baby Ray’s. This brand offers a whole line of flavors to choose from, including Honey Barbecue Wing Sauce (my favorite) and Buffalo Wing Sauce. Feel free to mix the flavors to develop a delicious combination that suits your taste buds.
The secret is tossing the wings in a dry mixture like flour and corn starch, evenly coating all sides before cooking them. For baked wings, after they’re cooked and drenched in BBQ sauce, put them back in the oven a few minutes so the sauce can set and become thick and sticky.
For an original BBQ taste, skip the soy sauce. For a kid-friendly version, leave out the sriracha. For a sweeter version, add a bit of honey to the BBQ sauce. For a spicer version, turn up the heat – drizzle the sauced up wings with habanero hot sauce or Frank’s Red Hot.
No. It’s not recommended to make wings in advance. Covered in a saucy BBQ glaze, the skins lose their crispness and become soggy. BBQ chicken wings taste best when enjoyed as soon as they’re made.
MORE TASTY CHICKEN APPETIZERS
These are some of our favorite chicken recipes! Each is a time-tested favorite that’s quick and easy to make. Print out the collection. Add them to your weeknight rotation. Or pin them Pinterest so you’ll have them for later.
- Buffalo Chicken Bites
- P.F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Baked Chicken Meatballs
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Friends who’ve tried this tasty Game Day appetizer say its these are the BEST BBQ Chicken wings. The tangy BBQ sauce with mild heat reminds them of those enjoyed at specialty wing restaurants and sports bars.
If you agree that this savory recipe is deeply delicious, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero! Share it with a friend.Print
These sweet and tangy BBQ chicken wings are oven baked until crisp. Each savory bite delivers a hint of heat for that classic bar food taste. Serve with fresh buttermilk ranch dressing for dipping.
- 1 pound chicken wing portions
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup honey BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (optional)
OPTIONAL GARNISH: Sliced green onions
DIPPING SAUCE: Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
RECIPE PREP: Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up. Place a wire rack over the tray so the wings can get extra crispy. If no metal rack, just use the baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt. Pat chicken wings dry between paper towels, then place them in the bowl. Toss chicken wings in the dry mixture until all surface areas are well coated.
- Shake off excess flour from the wings. Arrange them in a single layer on the prepared tray with wire rack. Bake 20 minutes, then flip them over. Bake an additional 20 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and the skin is golden and crisp.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the BBQ sauce, soy sauce, melted butter and sriracha. Add the baked wings to the bowl. Toss well until the wings are fully coated.
- Return the wings to the metal rack. Broil 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce is caramelized and wings are crisp. To prevent burning, keep a close eye on the wings while they’re under the broiler.
- Transfer wings to a serving dish. If desired, sprinkle with sliced green onions. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy immediately.
BEST BBQ SAUCE FOR THIS RECIPE: My preference is Sweet Baby Ray’s. This brand offers a whole line of flavors to choose from, including Honey Barbecue Wing Sauce (this is what I used for this recipe) and Buffalo Wing Sauce. Feel free to mix the flavors to suit your taste buds.
HOW TO CUT CHICKEN WINGS INTO PORTIONS: If prepped wing portions aren’t available at the market, use a sharp knife to cut the wings into 3 sections: drumettes, flats and wing tips. Discard wing tips. Make slices at the joints (the points of least resistance), not through the bones.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers, Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Baked BBQ Chicken Wings, Oven BBQ Chicken Wings, BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe, BBQ Chicken Wings
Baked bbq chicken wings > join the conversation
Do you enjoy serving chicken wings on Game Day? Do you normally order them from a restaurant or make them at home? What do you think of this recipe for baked BBQ chicken wings? Share your thoughts below.