Egg salad is delicious, healthy, and refreshing! It’s also very versatile! Make an egg salad sandwich, a lettuce wrap, or a pita pocket. Add it to a veggie bowl. Top a chef’s salad with a rounded scoop. Make this recipe in just 10 minutes!
ABOUT HEALTHY EGG SALAD
Egg salad is made with chopped hard-boiled eggs, herbs, spices and fresh ingredients mixed together with mayonnaise and other condiments. Often used as a savory sandwich spread, it’s similar to tuna salad, ham salad, chicken salad, and crab salad.
BEST EGG SALAD RECIPE
This deli favorite is perfect for picnics, potlucks and a mid-week lunch. When meal prepping, double this recipe to have enough on hand for several meals. Add any leftovers to your favorite potato salad recipe!
INGREDIENTS FOR EGG SALAD
These are the basic ingredients for this classic recipe:
- Large eggs
- Red onion
- Fresh dill
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper
HOW TO MAKE EGG SALAD
Here’s how to make this delicious recipe, step by step:
- STEP 1: Boil eggs until done. Carefully drain off hot water. Cool eggs in an ice-water bath.
- STEP 2: Peel eggs under running water (or while submerged in a bowl of cold water). Chop them with a sharp knife or use an egg slicer. Transfer chopped eggs to a medium bowl.
- STEP 3: Add mayo, mustard, and vinegar to the bowl. With a spatula or spoon, mix until fully incorporated.
- STEP 4: Add red onion, chopped dill, paprika, salt, and freshly-ground black pepper. Mix until well combined. Do a taste test. If desired, add additional herbs and spices. An extra sprinkling of vinegar will continue to brighten the flavor! Just go slow with any additions. Taste the mixture after each adjustment.
EGG SALAD SANDWICH
Refrigerate egg salad mixture until ready to use. Build a delicious egg salad sandwich on toasted bread or on a fresh bagel. Want to change things up? Stuff a pita pocket with the mixture and a variety of colorful fresh ingredients.
HEALTHY ADD-INS AND SIDES
For an even healthier recipe, add produce like butter lettuce, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and sliced tomatoes. You can even add a slice of your favorite cheese! Enjoy this yummy lunch with dill pickles, a side of corn chips or sliced fruit. Choose a healthy beverage like water, tea, milk, or apple juice.
KITCHEN TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
These beautiful kitchen tools make meal prepping easier!
EXPERT TIPS FOR EGG SALAD
- HOW TO MAKE HARD BOILED EGGS: In a large pot, place room-temperature eggs in a single layer. Cover eggs in cold water by one inch. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pot. Remove from heat. Allow eggs to sit undisturbed for 10-12 minutes. Drain water. Transfer hot eggs to a cold-water bath. This will stop the cooking process and cool them off quickly.
- EASY PEEL HARD BOILED EGGS: Eggs 1 to 2 weeks old are perfect for making hard boiled eggs for an egg salad sandwich. It’s easier to cleanly peel older eggs than fresher ones! Interested in the science behind why eggshells cling more tightly to fresh eggs? Read about it here: EASY PEEL HARD BOILED EGGS
- HEALTHY MIX-INS: Try mixing things up with these tasty ingredients: pickles, celery, olives, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, chives, yellow mustard, crispy bacon bits.
COLD SALAD RECIPES
When the weather heats up, enjoy these refreshing healthy salads!
- COLD SPAGHETTI SALAD
- CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD
- CLASSIC MACARONI SALAD
- TUNA PASTA SALAD WITH CAPERS
- HEALTHY BROCCOLI SALAD WITH BACON
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Did you enjoy this healthy recipe? Rate this recipe in the comments below!
Egg Salad Recipe
- Total Time: 10 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
Egg salad is a refreshing meal that’s quick and easy to make! Enjoy this recipe as a classic egg salad sandwich, or a stuffed pita pocket. Get creative by building a custom lettuce wrap! This delicious mixture is also a perfect ingredient for making a DIY bowl.
- 8 large hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped (no stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Using an egg slicer, chop hard boiled eggs into small pieces.
- Add chopped egg, mayo, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar to a medium-size mixing bowl. With a spoon, mix well.
- Add red onion, fresh dill, paprika, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix until incorporated. Do a taste test. Adjust herbs and spices, if needed. A light sprinkling of additional apple cider vinegar will further brighten things up!
EXPERT TIP: Try mixing things up with these great egg salad add-ins: Dill pickles, celery, black olives, lemon juice, chives, crispy cooked bacon bits.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg salad, egg salad recipe, egg salad sandwich
EGG SALAD RECIPE – JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
When was the last time you munched down on a great egg salad sandwich? What are your favorite healthy add-ins? If you liked this post for how to make egg salad, let me know in the comments below!
33 thoughts on “Egg Salad Recipe”
I’ve never thought to add Apple Cider Vinegar to my egg salad. I will definitely have to try that next time.
THis is the perfect keto recipe for my family. Sounds easy and yummy!
This egg salad recipe sounds so awesome. My husband really loves egg salad so I bet he’d love this one.
I’ve never tried apple cider vinegar in my egg salad. You have peaked my curiosity. I will have to try this recipe!
I adore egg salad. I love the simple herbs and flavors in this recipe. I am also loving the garnishes alongside the salad! I love pickles and olives.
OMG, this sounds awesome! I”ve printed the recipe and am going to try it asap! Love this! gigi
I’m definitely trying this delicious recipe! I’m bored of my sandwich. ha! I wonder if I can omit the mustard.
Such a colorful plate! I love egg salad but have never had it with Dijon mustard will be trying this week!
Love a colourful dish! Love that you added so many veggies to your bowl, just how I like it!
This egg salad must be so delicious! And it must be light, too. Fantastic recipe that can be used together with so many different dishes!
I am definitely making this tomorrow for lunch. I usually just make egg salad with three ingredients. I bet this is amazing.
I love all the additional flavors you add to your egg salad, the dill and red onion sound delish!!! I also love the idea of serving as part of a salad bowl, I am so used to just having mine on bread so I will try this instead!
This looks so delicious. I have never prepared an egg salad but your gave me a great idea.
I always love a good egg salad! Especially in a sandwich! And this one looks really really good!
Wow that looks like it would be perfect for me. I love putting all of the add-ins into my egg salad.
This egg salad looks so flavorful. It would be perfect for me to make for my family this weekend for lunch. Looking forward to trying the recipe.
Oh now this sounds like an amazing salad, I bet the egg adds a really interesting flavour to it. I need to think about making more salads this year.
This looks so delicious!!! I love egg salad and can’t wait to try your recipe!!! I love that you use fresh herbs!
This looks so refreshing and delicious. Great bowl to make and individualize for those picky eaters in the family.
I love a good egg salad sandwich. I can’t even remember the last time I had one. I have never made it with apple cider vinegar before though.
I love egg salad, in fact everyone in my house does. This looks lovely, and I really appreciate that you showed so many other things you can pair the actual salad mix with. I would totally be into dipping a nice pickle into this!
This is possibly the prettiest egg salad I have seen! They can sometimes be bland, but this looks delicious!
I love egg salad. This is different than the recipe I have. Plus anything I can put avocado on is a win!
I just made this for my lunch today and couldn’t resist a taste. It is so much better than my old recipe. I can’t wait to have it with avocado!
I love Egg salad! I have never thought about putting dill in it, but that sounds absolutely delicious. I am definitely going to do this it’s a great lunch idea.
This looks really good, I used to be able to have eggs but not anymore since I have a very bad sensitivity now. But my family would love this.
Yum! I haven’t had egg salad in ages. I really should make this because I’ve always enjoyed egg salad. This would be a perfect lunch.
It has been a very long time since Ive made egg salad. I recently started making eggs in my instant pot and this recipe is perfect. Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
I love me a good egg salad with dijon mustard. matter of fact I feel like i want to make this recipe this weekend! sounds delish :-)
I just tried this recipe and it was delicious!
I grew up with the basic egg salad with pickles in it and this one is like a grown up version .. very good!????
This looks so delicious! There is nothing better than a good egg salad! I love the addition of the apple cider vinegar!
Egg salad is one of my favorites! I love the simple herbs and flavors in this recipe. I am also loving the garnishes alongside the salad! I love pickles and olives.
This recipe looks so delicious! I’m going to pin it for later. I know that my mother would absolutely love this!