This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
This egg salad mixture is healthy, cool and refreshing. It features savory hard-boiled eggs, creamy condiments, red onion, and herbs. It has the perfect amount of tang. Use it to make the best egg salad sandwiches.
🥚 BEST EGG SALAD RECIPE
Our classic egg salad recipe features the best combination of ingredients for an old-fashioned deli flavor. Like this cold tuna salad, our mixture is easy to make in just 10 minutes with a few hard boiled eggs and pantry staples.
This egg salad recipe is perfect for picnics. Pack it an airtight container. Transport it in an ice chest. Assemble egg salad sandwiches at the park. Or change things up by making a pita sandwich or lettuce wrap.
Egg salad is also ideal for meal prepping. Double the recipe and store it in the fridge for quick healthy lunches throughout the week. Pair egg salad sandwiches with a cup of soup, a piece of fruit, or bag of crunchy corn chips.
- Large Eggs: The star ingredient of this egg salad recipe.
- Red Onion: Adds color, a crunchy texture, and a hint of peppery spice.
- Fresh Dill: Adds a pop of color and a fresh herby flavor.
- Mayonnaise: For me, the best-tasting mayos are Best Foods and Duke’s.
- Dijon Mustard: Made from brown mustard seeds, white wine and vinegar, it has a sharp tangy flavor that’s so delicious.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Has a bright vinegary taste with plenty of tang.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Black Pepper: Contributes a rustic flavor and aroma with a hint of heat.
- Paprika: Adds subtle earthiness, color and a sweet peppery taste.
- Optional: Dill pickles (finely diced) for tangy flavor and a bit of crunch.
📖 HOW TO MAKE EGG SALAD
- STEP 1: Boil eggs until done. Carefully drain off hot water. Cool eggs in an ice-water bath.
- STEP 2: Peel eggs under running water (or while submerged in a bowl of cold water). Chop them with a sharp knife or use an egg slicer. Transfer chopped eggs to a medium bowl.
- STEP 3: Add mayo, mustard, and vinegar to the bowl. With a spatula or spoon, mix until fully incorporated.
- STEP 4: Add red onion, chopped dill, paprika, salt, and freshly-ground black pepper. Mix until well combined. Do a taste test. If desired, add additional herbs and spices. An extra sprinkling of vinegar will continue to brighten the flavor! Just go slow with any additions. Taste the mixture after each adjustment.
👩🏻🍳 EXPERT TIPS
- How to make hard boiled eggs: Bring a large pot of water to a roiling boil. With a spoon colander, gently lower eggs into the water. Cover the pot with a lid and boil for 7 minutes. Turn off the heat but leave the lidded pot on the hot burner for 6 minutes more. Transfer cooked eggs to an ice-water bath to let them shed heat.
- For hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel: Use eggs that are 1 to 2 weeks old. They’re much easier to peel than fresh eggs. This is because as the egg white shrinks over time, there’s more distance between the egg shell and the egg. This allows them to be cleanly peeled.
🧑🏼🍳 RECIPE FAQ
These are the most commonly-asked questions for making the BEST egg salad recipe, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
Add crunchy bacon (cooked and crumbled), chopped black olives, or dill pickles. Or combine it with some albacore tuna or cottage cheese.
When refrigerated in an airtight container, it can last for up to 4 days.
Yes. It can be frozen in a zip-top freezer bag for up to 1 month.
Use an egg slicer or this expert hack: Put a metal cooling rack directly over a mixing bowl. Press a peeled hard boiled egg down through the rack. The tight metal grates act as an egg slicer. It’s quick and simple.
🥗 COLD SALAD RECIPES
When the weather heats up, make this delicious tuna salad mixture for sandwiches, or enjoy these tasty, refreshing cold salads.
- Cold Spaghetti Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad With Capers
- Broccoli Salad With Bacon
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers rated this the BEST egg salad recipe. Fresh, creamy, tangy and tasty with the perfect texture. Older members of the group said the mixture tasted just like the egg salad their parents would purchase at the corner deli.
If you agree this recipe’s a keeper, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Share it with friends. 📌 Pin it to Pinterest.Print
This easy egg salad recipe is healthy, cool and refreshing. Make it just 10 minutes with hard-boiled eggs, creamy condiments, red onion, pickles, herbs and spices. It tastes like it came from a deli.
- 8 large hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon diced kosher Dill pickles (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped (no stems)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Using an egg slicer, chop hard boiled eggs into small pieces.
- Add chopped egg, mayo, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar to a medium-size mixing bowl. With a spoon, mix well.
- Add red onion, fresh dill, paprika, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix until incorporated. Do a taste test. Adjust herbs and spices, if needed. A light sprinkling of additional apple cider vinegar will further brighten things up!
Best eggs for hard boiled eggs: Eggs that are 1 to 2 weeks old are much easier to peel than fresh eggs. As eggs sit in the fridge the egg whites start to shrink away from the shells, leaving space between the egg and shell. So after boiling these eggs peel more cleanly.
More delicious add-ins: Celery, black olives, lemon juice, chives, crispy bacon (cooked and crumbled).
How to quickly slice eggs without an egg slicer: Place a metal cooling rack (with square grates) over a mixing bowl. Press a peeled egg straight down through the grates. This method quickly slices eggs into tiny square pieces.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg salad, egg salad recipe, egg salad sandwich
EGG SALAD RECIPE 👉🏻 JOIN THE CONVERSATION
When was the last time you munched down on a great egg salad sandwich? What are your favorite fresh healthy add-ins? Share your thoughts on this easy recipe in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.