Lavishly drizzle your garden salad with crisp homemade Italian dressing. This easy, refreshing, salad dressing recipe is bursting with flavor! Happily, this recipe is quick and simple to make. You’ll just need a few staple items and spices you most likely already have on hand in your pantry and fridge. From start to finish it takes only 5 minutes to whisk up this fresh, healthy delicious condiment. In addition to enjoying it on green salads, Italian dressing is also a flavorful marinade for chicken, flank steak, Italian pasta salads, and vegetable skewers! Scroll down the page for the printable recipe card.
Ingredients for Homemade Italian Dressing
These are the simple ingredients for making yummy Italian dressing from scratch: virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, granulated sugar, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried minced onion, crushed red pepper, and freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.
How to Make Italian Dressing
Here’s how to make homemade Italian salad dressing: Using a small bowl, mason jar, or wide-mouth salad dressing carafe, add the olive oil, wine vinegar and lemon juice. Whisk these three ingredients together until well blended. Add the sugar and spices and whisk again. Add the finely-grated Parmesan cheese and whisk until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Taste the mixture and adjust the salt and pepper, as needed. Refrigerate for two hours before serving. This will allow enough time for the flavors to meld together nicely, and the crisp spices will have a chance to soften.
Frequently Asked Questions About Italian Dressing
Question #1: How long will Italian dressing last in the refrigerator? The Parmesan cheese expiration date will determine how long your salad dressing will last.
Question #2: Why not use fresh garlic and fresh herbs for this Italian dressing recipe? You can most definitely use fresh garlic and herbs to make this salad dressing recipe; however, using these fresh ingredients will greatly shorten the amount of time your dressing will stay fresh. You’ll need to use up the dressing the very same day it’s prepared.
Kitchen Tools for Italian Dressing Recipe
I love that very few kitchen tools are needed to make homemade salad dressing! Below are the simple items I used to make this recipe.Print
This fresh homemade Italian dressing is very simple to make! With just a few basic ingredients you can make this delicious recipe that tastes 100% better than a bottle of store-bought dressing.
- 3/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- In a wide-top salad dressing pitcher or mason jar, add the virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and fresh lemon juice. Mix the ingredients together with a small whisk.
- Add the granulated sugar, sea salt, black pepper, and all of the spices. Whisk until well blended. Add the finely-grated Parmesan cheese. Whisk until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Refrigerate the Italian dressing for two hours before serving. This will give the ingredients a chance to meld together beautifully, and the dried spices can soften up a bit. Enjoy!
- Category: Lunch, Dinner, Party
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: Italian, American
Keywords: salad dressing, homemade Italian dressing, Italian salad dressing recipe
ITALIAN DRESSING RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST!
Save this essential salad dressing recipe for later. Pin it to Pinterest right now!
OTHER ESSENTIAL SALAD DRESSING RECIPES
JENNIE’S TAHINI SALAD DRESSING is the delicious family recipe my sister-in-law is famous for! Whenever we have family gatherings we know we can count on Jennie to bring a large garden salad along with this timeless salad dressing recipe.
CREAMY CILANTRO-LIME DRESSING is festive, flavorful and super scrumptious! If you love the cilantro dressing from Rio Cafe, then you’re going to go bonkers for this super popular recipe!
ITALIAN DRESSING > JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy the fresh crisp taste of salad dressing recipes made from scratch? What do you think about this Italian dressing recipe? Join the conversation in the comments below. I’d love to hear your thoughts!