Mexican Shrimp Cocktail is perfect for holiday celebrations as well as all year round. When served in a Margarita glass rimmed with lime juice and Tajin, this yummy appetizer looks and tastes super festive! When my husband and I are in Mexico for New Year’s Eve, this fabulous Mexican shrimp cocktail recipe is enjoyed along with a bottle of cold cerveza like Corona, Modelo or Pacifico. I’m excited to share this colorful Mexican recipe with you today!
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
This delicious Mexican shrimp cocktail recipe begins with 1/2 pound of cooked and peeled shrimp. When I’m in California I buy cocktail shrimp at Costco in the frozen section. It comes in a 2-pound bag. Simply defrost it in the refrigerator and it’s ready to go! When I’m at my home in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico, I get up early in the morning to buy fresh shrimp at the La Cruz Fish Market. It’s right next to where the fishermen dock their boats and sell their fresh catch of the day. On the Pacific coast of Mexico the grocery stores have very small frozen food sections. The Mexican diet includes a lot of fresh fish, vegetables, corn tortillas and other foods made without preservatives.
Ingredients for Shrimp Cocktail Sauce
These are all the ingredients you’ll need to make the shrimp cocktail sauce for this recipe: 1 cup of Ketsup, 4 tablespoons Horseradish, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce, 4 teaspoons lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (Cholula Mexican Hot Sauce or Tabasco), 1/3 cup chopped red onion, 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, 1 avocado. For rimming the serving dishes: lime juice and Tajín Clásico Seasoning. For garnishes: sliced jalapeno and wedges of lime.
How to Make Shrimp Cocktail
In a medium-sized bowl, add all the ingredients for the shrimp cocktail sauce – except the avocado. With a wooden spoon or spatula, mix the ingredients until blended. Fold the shrimp into the cocktail sauce. Refrigerate for one hour to allow the ingredients to marinate and the flavors to blend. Just before serving time, chop the avocado and fold it into the mix.
Depending on the desired serving portion of the Mexican shrimp cocktail, select Margarita glasses or small dessert cups. Squeeze lime juice into a small saucer while sprinkling Tajin into another. For festive rimming, dip the rim of each serving glass or cup into the lime juice and then into the Tajin. Spoon the shrimp cocktail into the serving cups. Squeeze one slice of lime over the shrimp appetizer and lightly sprinkle the top with more Tajin. Garnish with slices of fresh jalapeno and a slice of lime.
Serve your flavorful Mexican shrimp cocktail with oyster crackers, saltine crackers, or Mexican-style tostada chips. This appetizer is perfect for holidays, Cinco de Mayo festivities, special occasions, dinner parties, or a special treat any day of the year.
Mmmm…get ready to dazzle your taste buds! This is one shrimp cocktail recipe you’ll want to make again and again. For those who like things extra spicy, add a few more drops of hot sauce on top. Buen provecho!
Best Serveware for Mexican Shrimp Cocktail > SHOP THIS POST
For a festive Mexican flair, serve this shrimp cocktail recipe in Margarita glasses with a cactus stem. The ones shown below are very similar to mine. You can purchase them straight through Amazon. For Cinco de Mayo celebrations, use colorful Mexican napkins.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Yield 2-4 Servings
- 1 cup ketsup
- 4 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, like Cholula Mexican Hot Sauce or Tabasco
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 pound shrimp, cooked and peeled
- For rimming serving dishes: lime juice and Tajín Clásico Seasoning
- Garnishes: sliced jalapeno and lime slices
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the ketsup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, and hot sauce. With a wooden spoon or spatula, mix until well blended. Add in the onion and bell pepper and mix again. Fold in the shrimp. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Just before serving time, fold in the chopped avocado. Rim the serving glasses with lime juice and Tajin. Spoon the shrimp cocktail into the serving glasses. Squeeze one slice of lime over the top of the appetizer. Sprinkle a little bit more Tajin on top. Garnish with sliced jalapenos and a slice of lime.
- Serve Mexican shrimp cocktail with oyster crackers, saltine crackers or Mexican-style tostada chips.
Courses Appetizer, Lunch, Snack, Party
Cuisine Mexican, Tex-Mex
MEXICAN SHRIMP COCKTAIL RECIPE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this delicious shrimp cocktail recipe for later!
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
SHRIMP COCKTAIL RECIPE > YOUR THOUGHTS
Have you ever enjoyed shrimp cocktail at an ocean-front restaurant? Do you remember the fabulous taste of fresh shrimp served with a tangy shrimp cocktail sauce? What do you think of this Mexican recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!