Perfect for Sunday brunch, Tater tot breakfast casserole is also a warm cozy dish on a lazy Saturday morning. You and your family will absolutely love this quick and easy morning recipe. A combination of popular breakfast ingredients all rolled into one, it’s a real crowd pleaser! Scroll down the page for the printable recipe card.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
I’m blessed to have a close family. We all get together at least once a month to celebrate birthdays, holidays and special occasions. On Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Christmas morning, my sister and I enjoy baking up yummy egg recipes. Our family brunches always include at least one traditional breakfast casserole like this one.
Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
These are the simple ingredients that go into a cheesy tater tot casserole: sausage links, yellow onion, garlic, bell peppers, cheddar cheese, tater tots, milk, eggs, sea salt, black pepper, green onions, and thick-sliced bacon.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
Start by placing a skillet on your stovetop. Press out the sausage links from their casings, sliding them directly into the pan. This makes it much easier to “chop” the links into several good-sized pieces with a wooden spatula while cooking. Today I used sausage links made with maple syrup. This additional breakfast flavor adds even more deliciousness to to this gorgeous breakfast casserole! Once the sausages are nicely browned and there’s no more pink, use a slotted spoon to transfer the pieces into a large mixing bowl. Reserve the sausage drippings.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Add the chopped onion, chopped bell peppers and minced garlic to the hot skillet and sautee until tender. Transfer the sauteed veggie mixture to the mixing bowl along with the shredded cheddar cheese. Briefly mix the ingredients together.
Easy Tater Tot Casserole
In a separate mixing bowl, add the milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Add the egg mixture and the frozen tater tots to the large mixing bowl. With a large spatula or wooden spoon, fold all the ingredients together until well combined. Grease one large casserole dish, or two medium square bakers. Whenever I can, I love dividing up my recipes so I can share half the bounty with my parents who are getting a bit older and no longer cook as much anymore.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Bake your delicious breakfast casserole in a 350 degree oven for 55-65 minutes, or until the egg mixture has set and the top has a nice golden color. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for about five minutes. Sprinkle the top with pieces of cooked crispy bacon and a handful of sliced green onion. Mmmmm…your yummy meal is now ready to share and enjoy!
Kitchen Tools for Breakfast Casserole Recipe
These lovely kitchen tools are a joy to use. They’ll seamlessly take you from breakfast through dinner!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What should we make for breakfast? A healthy, satisfying morning meal can help power you through a busy day! These are some great breakfast ideas:
- Easy hearty baked oatmeal
- Scrambled eggs with veggies and ham
- Sweet and savory breakfast toast
- Yogurt parfait with fruit compote
- Eggs in Purgatory
- Bagel and cream cheese with a glass of orange juice
- Fried eggs with bacon and cheesy potatoes
- Breakfast burritos with homemade flour tortillas
- Cream-cheese Danish pastry
BREAKFAST CASSEROLE > PIN IT TO PINTEREST
Save this delicious breakfast recipe for later. Pin it to Pinterest right now!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU’LL REALLY ENJOY
These fabulous bakery-style LEMON BLUEBERRY MUFFINS are adapted from a hugely-popular department-store recipe!
Yummy cream-cheese BREAKFAST PASTRIES are super easy to make and so delightful!
Delicious EGGS IN PURGATORY is a hearty satisfying recipe!
You’ll absolutely love these scrumptious FUNFETTI PANCAKES! Make breakfast and brunch an event to celebrate!
This delicious breakfast casserole is very easy to make! It’s a hearty dish that’s perfect for feeding a hungry family, or sharing with friends at brunch. Made with all of your favorite breakfast ingredients, don’t be surprised if everyone wants a second serving!
- 1 7-ounce package sausage links
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 + 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 32-ounce bag of frozen tater tots
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a large rectangular casserole dish or two square bakers.
- Slide the sausage links out of their casings and into a large skillet. With a wooden spatula, roughly chopping the links into pieces while cooking. They’re done when the meat is no longer pink. Lift the cooked pieces out of the pan with a slotted spoon. Transfer them to an extra-large mixing bowl. Reserve the drippings.
- Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the pan and cook until tender. Transfer the veggies to the mixing bowl. Add in the cheese and mix with a spatula until combined. Add in the tater tots.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Pour the wet mixture over the tater tots, cheese and veggies. Fold everything together until well incorporated. With a spatula, transfer the breakfast casserole mixture into your greased baker(s).
- Bake for approximately 55-65 minutes, or until the egg mixture is completely set and the top is golden. Remove from the oven and allow it cool for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle crispy bacon pieces and sliced green onions over the top of your tater tot casserole. Serve while toasty warm. Enjoy!
Keywords: breakfast recipes, tater tot casserole, comfort food
TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE > JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you have a favorite recipe you enjoy making for brunch? What do you think about this scrumptious tater tot casserole? I’d love to hear your thoughts! Join the conversation in the comments below.