This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
This zesty Italian dressing is bright, fresh and flavorful with the perfect mix of herbs and spices. This homemade family recipe is quick and easy to assemble. After you taste it, you’ll say goodbye to bottled Italian dressing.
🧑🏼🍳 WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s affordable to make at home with pantry staples. In fact, right now you might have everything you need on hand in the cupboard.
- This quick easy recipe makes 1 cup of dressing. About 8 servings.
- You can make this fresh healthy condiment in just 5 minutes. Then it’s ready to drizzle across a crisp garden salad.
- Because of the fantastic flavor, you might want to eat more salad!
👉🏻 DID YOU KNOW: Zesty Italian dressing is a delicious marinade for chicken, flank steak and vegetable skewers? A popular condiment for drizzling across Italian sub sandwiches, it’s also a flavorful dressing for pasta salad.
- Olive Oil: The rich delicious base for this zesty Italian dressing.
- Red Wine Vinegar: Adds tang and contributes a zesty flavor profile.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a bright, fresh, zesty taste. Freshly-squeezed juice has the best flavor, but feel free to use bottled lemon juice instead.
- Granulated Sugar: Ads a bit of sweetness to offset the tang.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Ground Black Pepper: Adds rustic taste and aroma with a hint of heat.
- Garlic Powder: Has a deep savory taste that enriches the dressing.
- Dried Basil: A major herb in Italian recipes.
- Dried Oregano: A traditional ingredient for Italian dressing.
- Dried Parsley: Adds a fresh grassy flavor.
- Dried Minced Onion: Pairs well with garlic and the other spices.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Adds texture, color and a bit of heat.
- Parmesan Cheese: We use finely-grated cheese so it can incorporate well into the mixture.
📖 RECIPE STEPS
These are the most commonly-asked questions about homemade Italian dressing, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
- STEP 1: In a wide-mouth jar, add olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Mix until well combined.
- STEP 2: Add granulated sugar and all of the dried herbs and spices. Whisk until well blended. Add the Parmesan cheese. Whisk until fully combined.
- STEP 3: Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. This will allow time for the dried spices to soften, and for the flavors to meld together.
👩🏻🍳 RECIPE FAQ
If it’s made with dried herbs and garlic powder, it can last up to 3 weeks in the fridge. But if it contains raw garlic and/or fresh herbs, then the dressing will expire after 3 days.
Yes, fresh herbs will give it fantastic flavor. However, it’s important to note: raw garlic and fresh herbs will make the dressing expire sooner. It must be used within 3 days.
About 2 tablespoons.
🥗 more flavorful salad dressings
- Asian Salad Dressing
- Tahini Salad Dressing
- Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- Healthy Caesar Dressing
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers loved this zesty Italian dressing. They gave it high marks for freshness, flavor, body and texture. They said it reminds them of the type of dressings served at their favorite Italian restaurants.
If you agree this recipe’s a keeper, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Share it with friends. 📌 Pin it to Pinterest.
This homemade Italian dressing is bright, zesty and flavorful with the perfect balance of herbs and spices. It’s a quick easy recipe that tastes 100% better than store-bought.
- 3/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely-grated
- In a wide-mouth jar, add olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Mix until well combined.
- Add granulated sugar and all of the dried herbs and spices. Whisk until well blended. Add the Parmesan cheese. Whisk until fully combined.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. This will allow time for the dried spices to soften, and for the flavors to meld together.
How to swap fresh herbs for dried: The general rule for swapping fresh herbs for dried is upping the measurement by 1/3. Here’s an example: for 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, substitute 1/2 tablespoon freshly-chopped oregano.
Serving size of Italian dressing: About 2 tablespoons. One cup of dressing yields 8 servings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Salad Dressing
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: salad dressing, homemade Italian dressing, Italian salad dressing recipe
ZESTY ITALIAN DRESSING 👉🏻 JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
Do you enjoy the fresh crisp taste of salad dressing recipes made from scratch? What do you think about this Italian dressing recipe? Join the conversation in the comments below. I’d love to hear your thoughts.