This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure.
This irresistible spicy feta dip is rich, zesty and super savory. Whipped and brightened with a burst of lemon, it gets a touch of heat from smoky harissa chili paste. It has a light smooth texture with a luscious creamy mouthfeel.
📌 PIN SPICY FETA DIP
This spicy feta dip is an ideal appetizer for the holiday season. Assemble this make-ahead recipe 5 days in advance. Take it to potlucks and parties. Enjoy it for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve.
Serve spicy feta dip with pita chips, crispy seeded flatbread crackers, bagel chips, or strips of your favorite veggies. It’s a great addition to a charcuterie board. It pairs well with cured meats, crostini, pretzels and olives.
Enjoy any leftover dip with warm pita bread or chips. Use it as a spread for burgers, sandwiches and wraps. Drizzle it over baked chicken meatballs to create another appetizer. Serve it as part of a crudités platter for snacking.
RECIPE TIP: Want a similar appetizer without the heat? Try this popular whipped feta dip recipe. It’s rich and delicious. A family favorite!
- French Feta Cheese (block): This is the base of our spicy feta dip. It’s salty, creamy and pairs well with chili paste. Because crumbled feta contains powdered cellulose or other anti-caking agents to prevent it from clumping together, a block of feta is best for whipping it into a dip.
- Greek Yogurt: Adds zest and creaminess to the mixture. It helps make the texture of the dip smooth and silky. If you don’t have this on ingredient on hand, use sour cream instead.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: To ensure our dip is the best it can be, select a good-quality olive oil with a mild or medium flavor (I prefer California Olive Ranch or Kirkland Signature from Costco). It adds richness and a grassy herbal aroma. It also helps thin out the chili paste.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice and zest pair perfectly with feta cheese and harissa paste. The citric acid brightens and balances the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Garlic: Has a warm, nutty, earthy taste. It helps enhance the flavor of the dip. We use grated garlic (instead of minced garlic) so it will incorporate more smoothly into the mixture.
- Harissa Paste: Is a North African spicy chili paste with a vibrant red color. It features a rich and spicy blend of chilies, garlic, coriander and veggies. We use it to add a touch of heat and smokiness to the dip. Use as little or as much as you like.
- Kosher Salt: This specific type of salt has a very light flavor. It’s about half as salty as regular table salt. To balance the flavors of this dip, add salt to taste.
- Ground Black Pepper: Adds an earthy rustic taste. Add a pinch or more.
📖 spicy feta dip recipe
- STEP 1: With your hands, break the block of feta cheese into chunks. Place them into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add in Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Process on high speed until smooth and creamy (about 2 minutes).
- STEP 2: Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest and grated garlic. Pulse to combine.
- STEP 3: Turn off the machine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- STEP 4: In a small bowl, stir together the harissa paste and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- STEP 5: There are 2 tasty ways to serve this recipe. The first option is to add the harissa oil to the whipped feta in the food processor and pulse to combine. The second option is to transfer the feta dip to a serving bowl and drizzle harissa oil over the top. It’s up to you.
- STEP 6: Refrigerate the dip for 30 minutes so the flavors can meld together. Serve with pita chips, crackers or veggies.
🤔 RECIPE FAQ
These are the most commonly-asked questions for making the BEST spicy feta dip, and the most helpful answers for recipe success.
Find this chili paste at most large grocery stores in the “international” aisle. It’s also available at World Market and online. Or prep it at home with this easy harissa recipe from Suzy at The Mediterranean Dish.
For more flavor, add a bit of goat cheese to the mix. For more texture, add 6 ounces roasted red pepper (drained and dried) to the bowl of the food processor before adding the cheese or other ingredients. Pulse until veggies are evenly chopped. Proceed with the original recipe.
When immediately transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated, the dip will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
👩🏻🍳 more tasty savory dips
Get ready to celebrate the holidays with these exciting, tasty dips! Keep them at the ready. Print the recipes and add them to your collection. Or for access to these recipes anywhere, anytime, pin them to Pinterest.
- Loaded Cream Cheese Dip
- Cheesy Caprese Queso Dip
- Mexican Street Corn Dip
- Cheesy Rotel Bean Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Dip
- Lemon Whip Fruit Dip
RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Flavor testers rated this the BEST spicy feta dip recipe. It’s so delicious! They loved the creamy whipped texture, the beautiful balance of flavors, and the delightful heat from the harissa-paste/olive-oil mixture.
If you agree this is a delightful recipe for the holidays, give it a 5-star rating in the comments. Then be a recipe hero. Pin it to Pinterest.Print
Spicy feta dip is creamy, savory and so delicious! Pair this luscious appetizer with pita chips, crackers, veggies or naan bread. Add it to a charcuterie board. A perfect make-ahead recipe for the holidays.
- 1 block (8 ounces) French feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated garlic
- 3 tablespoons harissa paste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- With your hands, break the block of feta into chunks. Place them into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add in Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Process on high speed until smooth and creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in lemon juice, lemon zest and grated garlic. Pulse to combine. Turn off the machine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, stir together the harissa paste and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- There are 2 tasty ways to serve this spicy feta dip. The first option is to add the harissa oil to the whipped feta in the food processor and pulse to combine. The second option is to transfer the feta dip to a serving bowl and drizzle harissa oil over the top. It’s up to you!
- Refrigerate the dip for 30 minutes so the flavors can meld together. Serve with pita chips, crackers or veggies.
Where to find harissa paste: This chili paste is available at most large grocery stores. Look for it in the “international” aisle. It’s also available at World Market stores and online.
How to store spicy feta dip: Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until serving time. It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Chill Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Spicy Feta Dip, Spicy Feta Dip Recipe, Harissa Feta Dip, Spicy Feta
SPICY FETA DIP 👉🏻 JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Do you enjoy appetizers that feature a little heat? What do you think of this spicy feta dip recipe? What dippers would you like to serve with yours? Join the conversation in the comments below.